MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-08-2002, 02:00 PM   #1
Coolbreeze
Registered Member

Exclamation Help with doors for 86 t-top

What has to be done to make them work?? I am having the hardest time finding a set of 87-88 t-top doors but can get convert doors fairly easy. I've been told they won't work & been told they will work with some mods.. Well I need to know for sure, so if ANYONE HAS DONE THIS SWAP, PLEASE HELP ME OUT.... I would like to get my car ready to paint while it is completely dissasmbled... THANKS for any and all info...

Or if any one has made regular hardtop doors fit....
What was involved....

Blown~AOD'ed~331~
T-top~ 86GT
Check out car on my page here ------ >
~~My 86GT T-top ~~
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 07:58 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

To make regular hard top doors fit requires the complete gutting of the door, cutting of the frame, and installation of different internals including glass.

I was under the impression the convertable doors were no different from the T top doors except for the side view mirror being different.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 05:08 PM   #3
kelso50
Registered Member

As far as I know vert doors are exactly the same as t-top doors. The mirrors changed in 87, but up until then there are no differences. Too much work to convert regular doors. Keep looking
kelso50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 06:28 PM   #4
Coolbreeze
Registered Member

From what I understand the windows in the vert door are different from a t-top. I really don't want to buy a set to find out that they don't work. I would get them and swap the windows out of the 86 doors but the mirror placement is different and it looks like the glass is shaped differnet at the front of the doors.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
bkaul
Registered Member

Default Re: Help with doors for 86 t-top

Convertible doors have, I think, one extra piece of reinforcement added that t-top doors don't (won't hurt anything), and the two have different glass. If you swap the glass, they should be interchangeable.

'83-'86 and '87-'88 doors vary in a couple of ways though: the '87 and newer doors have a factory speaker in the lower front corner, and the bottom mount window channel is anchored in a slightly different location. Some modification might be necessary there to use an early model door with a later model door panel/interior. I saw a write-up somewhere online a few months back of someone modifying the doors on an earlier model car to accept speakers in the later-model factory location, including relocating the bottom mount of the window run channel, but don't have a link handy. I had been searching for something related to door speaker installation in an '84-'86 Mustang when I ran across it, I think, or maybe something about T-top weatherstrip installation/window adjustment.

This forum (dedicated to "four-eyed" Fox cars) has some info on what parts are needed for door conversion, etc. (Maybe some other relevant threads too if you search for "roof").

'01 Cobra
'84 1/2 GT T-top
bkaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: