MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2001, 01:08 AM   #1
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Cool 351W - engine buildup debate inside. Very LONG!

I found a 351W that is in an 89 F-150 pickup. It's only has 4000 miles on it because the cab of the truck caught fire right after the rebuild. It has a few torched injectors, and the wiring is gone, but no biggie. All for $300

1st off, is this a roller block or not? 2nd, it has the upper intake that says 5.8L on it and doesn't look like the Explorer intakes I have seen. What kind of upper intakes will fit on the lower intake? I didn't really get a good look at it yet to see if it was a GT-40 type.

It'll be my street car and I want it to be as fast as it can possibly go, stay N/A with maybe a 125hp shot in the future, and still be fairly streetable. A lopey cam would be preferred.

Here's a list of parts I need ideas on:
-I need heads that are cheap, or can I port the stockers for much of an improvement? I'm thinking GT-40 irons for now.
-I'm still undecided on AOD or 5 speed so ideas for both please.
-Trick Flow or Holley Systemax intake? Or ???
-30lb or 24lb injectors?
-70mm or 75mm TB?
-76mm or 80mm MAS?
-Insert cam ideas here (specs would be helpful).
-Based on cam and tranny what size gears should I use?
-What's the stock compression on this engine, and what size CC's will I need to achieve 10:1 compression?
-What kind of piston to valve clearence issues will I have?
- Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote