MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-18-2001, 01:08 AM   #1
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Cool 351W - engine buildup debate inside. Very LONG!

I found a 351W that is in an 89 F-150 pickup. It's only has 4000 miles on it because the cab of the truck caught fire right after the rebuild. It has a few torched injectors, and the wiring is gone, but no biggie. All for $300

1st off, is this a roller block or not? 2nd, it has the upper intake that says 5.8L on it and doesn't look like the Explorer intakes I have seen. What kind of upper intakes will fit on the lower intake? I didn't really get a good look at it yet to see if it was a GT-40 type.

It'll be my street car and I want it to be as fast as it can possibly go, stay N/A with maybe a 125hp shot in the future, and still be fairly streetable. A lopey cam would be preferred.

Here's a list of parts I need ideas on:
-I need heads that are cheap, or can I port the stockers for much of an improvement? I'm thinking GT-40 irons for now.
-I'm still undecided on AOD or 5 speed so ideas for both please.
-Trick Flow or Holley Systemax intake? Or ???
-30lb or 24lb injectors?
-70mm or 75mm TB?
-76mm or 80mm MAS?
-Insert cam ideas here (specs would be helpful).
-Based on cam and tranny what size gears should I use?
-What's the stock compression on this engine, and what size CC's will I need to achieve 10:1 compression?
-What kind of piston to valve clearence issues will I have?
- Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 01:36 AM   #2
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

hey kevin, its a non-roller block, the only production roller 351's were in the lightnings

just outta curiosity, which car will this be in? the hatch or the coupe? speaking of which, did you get that coupe this weekend?

if you don't get that motor, my friend Justin (with the blue GT) says you can come get his 74 351 block for $20, mainly to get it outta his garage, he's changed his mind and is gonna be goin with a pretty healthy 306

sorry can't help you out on any of the other questions, later
Old 11-18-2001, 05:05 AM   #3
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I haven't picked up the car yet. I still have to find a way to get there with a trailor. A friend is going to loan me his trailor, but I need a truck.

It will be going in the Notch. The Hatch is going to be stripped and turned into a drag car so all of the parts on it will be used on the Notch. I know, that's bass acwards, but I want the Notch for my daily driver.

Is the engine Justin has just the block? Tell him I'll take it. Those are supposed to be a little beefier than the newer blocks. I will try to setup a pickup when I go get the Notch this coming weekend since I will be going through Indy.
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 11-18-2001, 02:05 PM   #4
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

well its down to the shortblock, so you could probably polish the crank and re-use it, maybe recondition the rods too
it still has the timing cover on it too, thats about all i think

let me know when you wanna get it, im on break now at home in indy so we could meet somewhere and head out to his house to get it, later
Old 11-18-2001, 05:33 PM   #5
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Drew, I would have to pick it up this coming Saturday evening on the way back from Tennessee. It turns out my buddy has a friend in Knoxville he's been wanting to visit so he's thinking about taking me down to pick up the car.

Email me with phone numbers where I can reach you and the guy with the block Saturday when I get close to Indy and we'll work out a place to meet from there.

Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241

Last edited by 2FastLX; 11-18-2001 at 05:43 PM..
Old 11-19-2001, 02:44 PM   #6
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

no thats not a roller motor but pretty easy to convert if wanted..and all 94+351s were roller motors..i just picked up a 94 f-150 motor and it was roller

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 02:53 PM   #7
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Thumbs up

The 351W that ford should have made... might be slow if you have a 56K (well not might it will be!!!!)
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 11:27 AM   #8
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Well, anyone have any good streetable 351 or even 408 Stroker combos they'd like to share?

Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 11-20-2001, 11:48 AM   #9
Stang Runner
Registered Member

OOPS sorry about that DID not look to see if It worked
By the way 400HP and it Runs on 87 gas!!!!

http://63.251.78.219/351_ford_should_have_made.htm
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Old 11-20-2001, 12:43 PM   #10
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Thanks Matt. Which magazine was that from?

Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 11-20-2001, 02:01 PM   #11
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Well I know I got it from 2 MM&FF about 2 years ago
I have it Scaned it a A MUCH larger size if you cant read it that good, IF you want I might be able to get it on the web for you to see Each page is about 30-70MB Each I have it on a CD some where around here I think I some time would like to do it Sounds like a Very good Idea, I like that it is all on 87 GAS with the way gas goes up and UP and Time goes on Help if you want to use the car as a Daily driver.
Old 11-21-2001, 12:41 AM   #12
macx
Registered Member

Default Long Rod Article

All you have to do is click on a page and it enlarges. I've got that same article scanned, too. I was looking at that basic combo for a heavy Linc Mk VII LSC w/hopped AOD and stock 3.27 gears (I'm an OLD timer), only with Explorer P heads and intake top on a truck base, and a little shorter cam for an even lower torque curve.
macx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 09:12 AM   #13
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Kevin- You can't use a Holley upper unless you can find a 351 lower that has the "square shaped port" I think most of the 351's have the round ports. I have thought about doing this for the next motor of mine however I was going to build a 377ci stroker to stay in the Renegade class, if not I would build a 393 since the rod to stoke is a little better then a 408.

You won't need a lot of rear gear or a low end torqu cam because the 351 will have lkots of low end. I would look at a nice healthy cam with 230 degrees of duration so you can rev it to 6500rpms, 110 centerline still keeps it pretty streetable, unless you go custom. Don't starve the stroker for air it will want big heads, not sure how good the stokers are but if you can port them yourself maybe it is worth it. If not I would go Victor Juniors, 36psi injectors, 80mm+ mass air, 75mm TB (the largest you can port a Holley is 80mm or it dips into the EGR port on the bottom, mine is ported to 80mm and it is right at the roof top) I would go 10.5:1 compression.

If you want a "AOD" I would go to a Lentech if they have one for you, if not go C4. I would stay 5spd but you will need something strong a Jerico would hold up very nice and they have street versions now.

Just some ideas,

Rick

and of course you will need another set of RNH PERFORMANCE TORQUE BOX PLATES..lol

Check out RNH Performance Performance Engines and Custom Fabrication.
From Mild to Wild we can build what you want, when you want it.

FOR SALE Stainless Steel Torque Box Supports
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 11:42 AM   #14
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Where you been Rick? I've been waiting for you to post in here
Jimberg needs to get his butt in here too. Haven't heard from him lately.

You can bet I'll be ordering another set of those torque boxes! I still have the first set sitting on my desk next to the puter, but they should go on this winter.

As it turns out I am getting a Notchback fiotted with a 351 with a fresh rebuild. It also has a Performer intake, 30lb injectors, stock heads (he thinks), 75mm MAS, 75mm TB, Lunati cam of some sort, roller rockers, Centerforce dual friction, lakewood bell housing, rebuilt T5 that I can tear up, 3.73 gears, etc.

What do you think this Notch would run with a set of slicks on it?

And I guess I'll need to get one of those cam wheels to see if I can degree this sucker to see what the hell it is. I think it should be mandatory you etch the cam card specs under the vin plate LOL.

Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 11-21-2001, 12:09 PM   #15
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

I've been busy grabbing 11 sec passes

Actually I've been really busy doing side work, just did the whole top half of a 3.8L in a Taurus for a guy at work, man what a lot of work. Been playing with my Speedbrain trying to get it a little better so this weeeknd I can try to get a 11.7X out of it. Next year after the rear is done I hope to go 11.50-11.40 on motor then on a 150 shot maybe low 10's. I will try slicks for the first time next year though, but I plan to run my ET STREETS the majority of the time.

I think that that car should be a soild 11 sec car if tuned in with proper suspension. I thought I replied to that Notch thread?? Maybe not. The only way you'll know what cam it is, is to degree it. Why not build a nasty soild roller motor? With a direct port N2O kit 200 shot and go 9's

Good Luck with this winter project of your's, keep in touch. I am thankful I have a heated garage to work in during the winter, makes life easy...

Old 11-21-2001, 06:15 PM   #16
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

You really think that motor could go 11's? That would be killer. The first thing I'd buy would be south side lift bars I think so that would be a good improvement in traction. I'll be sending you another check pretty soon for another set of torque boxes plates too.

The bad thing is I don't even know if it's a roller block. If not I'm going to have to come up with the money to convert it.

For now I'm going to be on a tight budget so I'll probably pull the heads to see for sure what kind they are and go from there. They'll definately get an aggressive port job by yours truely since I think I know what I'm doing now. I'm also going to check the combustion chambers to see what kind of compression I can get out of it and still go with a healthy cam. If I have to notch the pistons I will.

Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 11-22-2001, 05:00 PM   #17
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Hey Rick. A friend of mine swears the EFI 351's have the same lower as the Holley and the older Trick Flow intakes. Maybe I'll get lucky and just have to buy an upper. If not I'll be looking at the Holley and the Trick Flow offerings for an upper and lower.

I sent you an email Rick with the new options I have available to me. Since I now have $3500 or so I don't have anything to do with other than save (I could never do that!) I am thinking AFR 185's, Tremec TKO, 9" rear end, etc. I don't want a blower just yet.
- Am I sick or what??? - somebody slap me!

Anyway, I don't plan to get in a hurry so I'll be researching my options over the next few weeks.

Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 11-22-2001, 11:29 PM   #18
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

I responded to the e-mail you sent me earlier Let me now if that EFI 351 has a lower that will work that would really help me out.

I am still partial to a heavily modded stroked 351 on juice