MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-25-2003, 05:04 PM   #1
Alex89GT
Registered Member

Angry help, engine flooding

We just put in a fuel injected 306 into my buddie's stang & it seemed to run fine at idle but it popped when revved, he tried driving it & the engine stalls. He took out all 8 plugs & they were all wet with gas, I tried both firing orders, 13726548 & 15426378, it's popping at the intake. Maybe I should try rotating the distributor 180 degrees.
306,9.5:1 comp., home made cooled RamAir,65mm TB,73mm MAF, MSD 6AL,Eibach progressives, KYB shocks, no front swaybar, 1-5/8 Flowtec headers, 2-chamber flowmasters w/turndowns, upper/lower Cobra intake (port matched),stock home ported heads,CenterForce2,SVO Aluminum Driveshaft,14.275 at 98 mph shifting @ 4700rpm
Alex89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 04:30 AM   #2
PKRWUD

What cam does it have? Unless someone installed a pre '82 302, or a truck cam in it, the firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. He should know. If you aren't sure of the timing, check, don't guess.

1) Pull #1 spark plug.
2) Wad up a kleenex and stuff into spark plug hole.
3) Crank engine by hand until kleenex pops out of spark plug hole.
4) Rotate engine by hand to align timing mark on balancer with 10 degree timing mark (it should be VERY close when the kleenex pops out)
5) Adjust (turn) distributor until #1 plug wire terminal lines up with rotor.
6) Tighten the distributor and fire it up.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 01:03 PM   #3
Alex89GT
Registered Member

Thanx for the reply PKRWUD, but I think I should have been more specific. We tryed your suggestion before with both firing orders and it still rich in fuel and there is the popping when reved-up. We also changed MAF, sparkplugs and wires, disconnected msd6AL.
Did anyone have this problem before? Plugs soaked in fuel and when gas pedal is tapped then a second later you hear a pop out of the intake pipe by the air filter.
We are thinking distributor is turned or there is a weird cam/crank combination in the block.
Any other HELP?
306,9.5:1 comp., home made cooled RamAir,65mm TB,73mm MAF, MSD 6AL,Eibach progressives, KYB shocks, no front swaybar, 1-5/8 Flowtec headers, 2-chamber flowmasters w/turndowns, upper/lower Cobra intake (port matched),stock home ported heads,CenterForce2,SVO Aluminum Driveshaft,14.275 at 98 mph shifting @ 4700rpm
Alex89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 02:00 PM   #4
PKRWUD

Well, if you follow the second part of my first reply, you will know that the distributor is right where it's supposed to be.

What's the fuel pressure at? Are the valves adjusted properly?
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote