MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2001, 09:17 AM   #1
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Post Help fast please gotta make it to the track "timing question"

I had this guy set my timing a week ago and I dont know if he knew what he was doing or not.

Sometimes now my car does not want to start and when I turn the car off it tries to stay running.

Isnt this the symptoms of retarded timing.

and wouldnt this explain my low MPH in the quarter

I have a timing light can someone please tell me step by step how to accurately advance my timing. Im trying to make it to the track tonight so quick responses would be greaytly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers mac cold air fender kit 3.73 FMS gears cowl hood nitto drag radials ford racing clutch flow masters h-pipe 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 09:59 AM   #2
John
Registered Member

There are 2 ways, 1. Disconnect spout connector (the little plug on the end of distributor wiring) place timing light connector on #1 cylinder (1st plug wire on passenger side) and of course neg and pos terminals of battery, aim light at harmonic balancer, easier to see the mark if you take whiteout and mark the 14 degree mark, make sure you loosen dist. hold down bolt before starting car. turn dist. till you see the whiteout come to the far right of the timing indicator the flat side. turn off motor and tighten bolt, then recheck. 2. leave spout connector plugged in have a buddy rev car to 2000 rpm and set to about 38-39 degrees that would be around where the BTC is on the harmonic balancer. I always reset my computer after doing anything to my car but you may not have too. hope this helps John

------------------
89 Notch: ASP Pullies,
K&N Air,Transgo shiftkit,Trans. cooler,FMS 3 core Radiator, FMS 4:10's, 1.5" cowl, cold air kit, hooker shorties(jet hot coated), O/R H-Pipe, ASP solid mounts, Energy Sus. Trans. Mnt. BBK 70mm TB, MSD 6al, Dual elec. fans, 5.0 Firepower Kit, Scorpion 1.6 RR's, always room for more
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 09:59 PM   #3
PKRWUD

Actually, those symptoms are typical of having too much initial advance. Does it ping when you get on it?

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote