MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-07-2002, 09:22 AM   #1
Reipen
Registered Member

Default help help! hit a curb at 75...

i slid sideways into a curb going about 75 mph, both my back and front passenger side tires slammed into the curb simotaniously and cost me about 2100 dollars in parts (that includes new cobra r's).

in any case, now my engine is backfiring and i cant figure out why.

Any help is appreciated. I am so upset right now i could throw up. My baby is hurt and i cant figure out how to fix her.

I drive a vert 95 gt.

Any help is appreciated =(.
Reipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 10:40 AM   #2
LX5liter
dude5l

Hitting a curb that fast is going to jar the whole car very badly. My first guess would be the MAF sensor was hurt but its way to hard to tell without more information. Have you pulled off any codes yet? Start there and post the codes.

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 10:24 AM   #3
Reipen
Registered Member

Default doh

my engine isnt backfiiring

its misfiring, like it has a dead cylinder.

I have checked the wires, no luck. Could hitting the curb that hard have jarred a spark plug lose or messed something up with the distributor cap?
Old 07-09-2002, 06:02 PM   #4
PKRWUD

I got your email, and I really don't know what to suggest, other than running codes, and then a compression check.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 07:59 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Misfire after big skid

A 75 mph hit - even against a curb - is severe and could do a lot of things to the engine including a cracked plug insulator, shorted wire, maybe a cracked injector cap, damaged MAF (as previously mentioned) or a disconnected wire somewhere.

Too difficult to diagnose from afar with any degree of accuracy. That's why you need to do a code scan and hopefully that'll tell you enough to locate the problem and fix it.

BTW; I'm amazed that you didn't flip over from a 75 mph slide into a curb. Lucky. You could have bent an axle, snapped a tie-rod end, damaged the front spindle, done some brake damage, etc. Tire and wheel destruction was actually minimal considering the speed and resulting force of the impact. Consider yourself fortunate and I hope you can find the engine mis-fire source soon.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 08:10 PM   #6
jerrys84
Registered Member

pull the codes!!

i'm sure it's just a matter of time before someone mentions responsibility, safety, carelessness, danger to others and setting a good example to the public.

previous stangs;

lightly modded 84GT

81 2.3 converted to 302 auto
jerrys84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 10:02 PM   #7
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Yea, I am not one to lecture anyone, but how did you hit the curb anyway? Just curious...

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 10:27 PM   #8
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

WOW! I'm amazed you didn't flip! I hit a curb sideways at about 20-25 mph and layed my car on it's top.

You gotta tell us what happened too!
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 10:21 AM   #9
Reipen
Registered Member

Default a stupid deer

A deer ran out in front of me and i swerved to keep from hitting it. Only the roads were still wet from the amount of rain thats been going on here in florida. I slid and tried to regain control but on a 4 lane road evided by a median, you just have no room to work with. Especially when the road is coming around at a slight turn/angle. I slammed into the curb with and hit it hard, both tires at the same time. The car even lifted up onto 2 wheels before it came back down.

Actually i did all of the above. I broke a spindel, bent my rear axel, had to replace 3 struts. hell i hit so hard that the rotar on the other side (the driver side) shattered from the impact. Not to mention the other 2 roters. I got brand new cobra R's out of the whole thing. Parts and such alone were 1500 dollars.

I am missfiring bad. I ran the tests, and my codes came up pretty inconclusive. I dont think i have a bad sensor. I am pretty sure all my wires are good. The codes that i did have were just from the exhaust leak. The only code i didnt understand was the ect code.

Grrrr, my baby is hurt.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:43 PM   #10
redrider
Registered Member

check the fuel pump
88 GT mass air conversion from 90lx, Cobra Intake(ported/polished lower),Edlebrock Aluminum Heads(ported/polished),38# injectors 70 mm BBK TB, 77mm Pro M, Coast High 347 SB, Wolverine custom cam, Vortech T Trim w power pipe(13lbs), fmu & boost retard, 255lb fuel pump (BBK off road H pipe, Dynomax cat back, alum driveshaft w safety loop, Konis,Southside Bars w chromemoly torque boxes,AOD w lentech valve body, B&M MegaShifter, 4.10 with True Track locker, SVO springs, subs, cross drilled rotors, Nitto Drag Radials,MSD A6, black magic fan etc.
redrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 03:53 PM   #11
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Default Check your plugs.

I bet you have a cracked spark-plug. Have you checked them yet? I once had a cracked plug and the car ran like total crap.
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 11:19 AM   #12
Reipen
Registered Member

Default i...

changed the wires. That didnt do anything (although i found a tear in one of the boots where the wire was burning onto the number 2 header/cylinder).

Im going to try the sparkplugs on saturday and if that doesnt work, maybe the cap.

Doing a compression check is my last step.

Thanks in advance.

David T-
Old 07-11-2002, 06:15 PM   #13
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Default Re: i...

Quote:
Originally posted by Reipen
Im going to try the sparkplugs on saturday and if that doesnt work, maybe the cap.

Doing a compression check is my last step.

Thanks in advance.

David T-
Are you doing the compression check at the same time you change the plugs? May as well if you weren't planning on it.

1990 LX

1998 Contour SVT

Old 07-12-2002, 06:17 PM   #14
Reipen
Registered Member

Default ya, now that you mention

going to do that whole 2 birds with 1 stone thing everbody keeps talking about
Old 07-13-2002, 11:41 AM   #15
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Default Re: ya, now that you mention

Quote:
going to do that whole 2 birds with 1 stone thing everbody keeps talking about
Sweet, I was just making sure .

1990 LX

1998 Contour SVT

Old 07-13-2002, 01:41 PM   #16
Reipen
Registered Member

Default actually...

its been really weird here as of lates.

I put the new wires on, car started and revved fine, i got in the car and it misfired as soon as i drove it. Stopped in front of my friend's house, popped the hood, and 2 wires (one on each side) had popped up. Put them both on (ouch, thanks shorty equals for being so hot!) and the car sounded just great/reved great. Drove it then all of a suden, misfired again. I got home, let the car sit for a few, then turned it on when i had to goto work, and the car is working great. I leave work, and the car is running great, get to a friend's house, sit around for a while and get back in the car....car is misfiring again (but all the wires are on). Now im on the road yesterday and in the lower speeds and rpms the car isnt misfiring. Get it up in speed and such and the car starts misfiring.

Ugh, que lastima!

Oh well, any thoughs opininions? I am thinking it is a cap or possibly the cracked plug theory.

I just dont know, so frustrating to go from purring like a kitten to misfiring.

Thanks in advance

David T-
Old 07-13-2002, 02:50 PM   #17
PKRWUD

Make sure the wires going to #5 & #6 are not touching each other AT ALL. That is a common cause for an unexplained misfire.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 03:27 PM   #18
Reipen
Registered Member

hehe, you seem to live by that statement chris.

I agree with that though.

But would that cause a cylinder to go dead? I think its dead, it fires like normal for a while. Then it doesnt for a while.

Grrr hehe.
Old 07-13-2002, 06:33 PM   #19
jimberg
Registered Member

Running a cylinder balance test would let you know which cylinder is having problems if any one is dead.

What kind of h-pipe do you have? Is it stock, hi-flow, or off-road? Could the impact have loosened one of the cat honeycombs? Check your exhaust and make sure both sides are flowing freely. Was the exhaust pipe inspected? Could it be bent or dented from hitting the curb?
Old 07-15-2002, 10:13 AM   #20
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Default Re: actually...

Quote:
I put the new wires on, car started and revved fine, i got in the car and it misfired as soon as i drove it. Stopped in front of my friend's house, popped the hood, and 2 wires (one on each side) had popped up. Put them both on (ouch, thanks shorty equals for being so hot!) and the car sounded just great/reved great. Drove it then all of a suden, misfired again. I got home, let the car sit for a few, then turned it on when i had to goto work, and the car is working great. I leave work, and the car is running great, get to a friend's house, sit around for a while and get back in the car....car is misfiring again (but all the wires are on). Now im on the road yesterday and in the lower speeds and rpms the car isnt misfiring. Get it up in speed and such and the car starts misfiring.
Did you check the plugs yet? You almost exactly explained my problem when I had a cracked plug. Ran fine sometimes and like crap at other times.

Suck it up, spend the $15 and 1 hour to change the plugs.
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote