MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-04-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
ols0051
Registered Member

Default help me choose a trans. auto or 5speed?

I have a problem making up my mind. I have a 88lx I'm going to use as a strip only car. The question is tremec or c4 auto? I will be bracket racing only, as who could afford to go heads up racing these days? I know the c4 would be consistent, but I think I could be almost as consistant with a 5spd. My other 5.0 5spd I can stay kind of consistant. But my lx is going to make much more power.(I hope) so that might play a big factor. Could I get into a good c4 for around 2K$? including the converter? I don't see the difference, because with a rev manual valve body you have to shift the transmission as you would say powershifting.(if that makes any sense.) And which will be less trouble some in the long run. Thanks....
ols0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #2
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

Default Re: help me choose a trans. auto or 5speed?

i'd go with a c4
check out www.summitracing.com i think they have a performance automatic c4 for around 1000,1300,2200 bucks ...i think the more expensive ones come with a lifetime warranty - im sure theres more and better brands out there but i looked at those when i was choosing mine and they looked pretty good to me
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

I like my stick, and won't drive anything else. Yeah, I know all about the auto's being more consistant and all that shizzle, but in my mind real cars have 3 pedals. I had 2 different people ask me what C-4 I was running, and actually had to show them inside the car cuz they wouldn't believe me that it was a 5 speed.

Call Walt at Pro Motion in Florida, the man knows what he's doing about stick shift cars. G-Force makes a killer tranny, and like you mentioned Tremec.

If you're gonna put an automatic in it, might as well throw in an air shifter too, and take ALL the fun out of it.

Just my $.02 and I don't mean to make anyone mad at me, so please don't take it that way!!!!

"Beat 'em with a stick!"

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:36 PM   #4
ols0051
Registered Member

I like the beat em with a stick slogan. And that's the way I really want to go. But I'm sick of losing rounds at least in my convert in street eliminator classes to 4 door sedans. My lx is ready for a 5spd. I have everthing but the gearbox and clutch. I hope to be able to enter in classes outside of the street type classes with my lx. I'm hoping for some low 12's or high 11's. But everyone I talk too says I'm nuts for running a 5spd and I'll never win round with it. I have a adjustable clutch cable, firewall adjuster, also welded together a clutch pedal stop with an adjustment.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:17 PM   #5
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

We're running a TKO II (pro-shifted) in my car, an old school Toploader (Also pro-shifted) in car #2, and against my constant beeeotchin, my bro-in-law is puttin a slush box in the 3rd car.

If you really want to go with a stick, then DO IT. Who's telling you that auto's are better? The guys running auto's. Sure, at first you're gonna be "learning" the car, when to under shift cuz of something stupid you did etc etc etc. It's a dyno proven fact that standards are faster, and eat up less horsepower than automatics do. Keep in mind that seat time makes up for inconsitancies too, you'll learn what to do if "that" happened, or you spun more than usual, etc. Don't worry about the horespower either, that's a myth. Walt at Pro Motion has me hooked up with a kevlar clutch that is good for 800+ ponies, and he's at all the FFW events. Ask Mr. Chambers. He runs an auto, but I bet he knows about the stick cars (albeit clutchless next year. WTF?) in his class.

Just think of the long run here, when you're standing in the winner's circle. You can tell the second place guy driving an automatic, "Here, hold my trophy while I kiss your girlfriend!"

Beat 'em with a stick! If that's what you wanna do man, then just do it. YOU'RE driving the car, not all the other guys.

MICE need not apply.....

Old 04-04-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
ols0051
Registered Member

"THE JESTER". your right. I won't be happy giving in to an auto. I've had 4 of these cars over 12yrs, 2 which I still have and all were 5spds. So I'll keep the fun factor. Win or lose, I'll still have a good time as usual. Now should I go with the tko,500 or 600. My combo is 302,trickflow track heats,tfs stage2 cam,victor jr, 750 dominator,1-5/8 longtubes,4.10's started this car 8 months ago should be done in a month or so. Hope to get out of the 13's. Thanks for your info...
Old 04-04-2005, 09:43 PM   #7
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

I'm in the same boat. All "REAL" cars have three pedals. I have been saving dough to either get my t-5 pro shifted or buy a pro shifted trans of some type. I like the TKO 500 and 600, but for the few extra dollars, I want the pro shifted option. IMO, you'll be happier if you get a pro shifted trans of some sort.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:57 PM   #8
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

For a bracket racer the C4 would be much easier to go rounds. Holding your revs to launch on a standard isn't easy to do consistently along with having to concentrate on cutting a good light.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:34 PM   #9
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

If your going a 1/8 mile, Id go with a powerglide, yes a chebie tranny.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:55 PM   #10
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

A 2 step rev limiter will hold the RPM exactly where you want on a stick car, that and it's adjustable for different track conditions.

MICE need not apply.....

Old 04-05-2005, 07:24 PM   #11
ols0051
Registered Member

I have a really dumb question, that I should have probably learned by now. What is pro shifted?
Old 04-05-2005, 07:42 PM   #12
Ieatcamaros

A pro shifted trans does not have synchronizers like a stock tranny. They use a locking dog ring which has more of a positive lock and way stronger than normal synchros. Most pro-shifted trannies have straight cut gears in them too. The stock tranny has helical gears (just like your distributor gear). Pro Motion makes a kit for the t-5 that has helical cut gears at like a 5 degree angle. They are almost straight so you get the strength and the class legality and they also don't make as much noise as the straight cut gears. If you've ever hear a gear drive, then this is what you transmission would sound like going down the road. Another big plus is that you don't have to use the clutch when shifting. And I have heard that you almost have to double clutch when down shifting.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:11 PM   #13
ols0051
Registered Member

OK, I've read on some of the strait cut gears. Right now I have no transmission, no clutch, no bellhousing, no pressure plate. So what should I buy? This car will only be on the track. So I want it to be tough, And hopefully last a little while. I was going to go witha nnew tremec. But I havn't made any calls yet. This proshifted sounds like it would help me on the track. How much money is it going to cost?
Old 04-05-2005, 08:48 PM   #14
Ieatcamaros

I'd probably get one from Pro Motion. I want a pro shifted t5. The only thing I don't like about it is the case. They put all that good stuff right back into that weak looking t5 case. Look at it this way. You have to buy it all tranny, clutch, bellhousing. The tremec 500 and 600's are nice pieces. But they are $1600 or more. You can get a pro shifted trans from Pro Motion for $2000.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:30 PM   #15
ols0051
Registered Member

I'll start looking in to it. Thanks for all the info.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:07 PM   #16
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~The Jester~
A 2 step rev limiter will hold the RPM exactly where you want on a stick car, that and it's adjustable for different track conditions.
For the sportsman classes around here, a 2 step is a no-no, same with the national events-it's a foot brake race.

So, how many points races have those of you who are reccommending the manual transmission won? All the cars that are winning in brackets around here are autos.

My car is a street car, I'm not building it to win bracket races so I'm using a manual tranny. But if I wanted to win at brackets, I'd do an auto.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:00 AM   #17
StrokedStang
Registered Member

I myself was running consistent low 11's. I switched to a C4 setup from my TKO and am now running consistent mid 10's.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: