MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Help me Pick What Heads... (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=17357)

MustangDanny 12-14-2001 01:04 PM

Help me Pick What Heads...

Okay... I am about to embark on the greatest journey for all mustang lovers, a new motor. I am looking to either have a local shop rebuild my shortblock or purchase a crate shortblack from DSS, Keith Craft, Central Coast, etc. (any thoughs on that are welsome as well). I'm thinking an E cam but maybe Crane's version of the E cam. But when it comes to the heads I am stumped. My only real criteria is that I want to spend less than a grand ($1000) on them. I want max flow because in the near furture, a blower or at the very least a 150 hp shot will be in the making. So this is what I think my choices are (if there is some that I am overlooking, let me know):

(1) Trickflow Tisted Wedge
(2) Edelbrock Performer
(3) AFR
(4) Brodix
(5) GT-40X
(6) Other

1BAD89 12-14-2001 01:24 PM

If you only want to spend a $1000, I'd get the Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads. Get a shortblock from D.S.S., then you'd know it was built right, and you'd probaly get it quicker, and it would probaly be cheaper or about the same price as a local.

Coupe Devil 12-14-2001 02:36 PM

Yeah go with the Trick Flows. I am gonna use the R-series next time. I think for a thousand bucks they are the better buy.

Brad

MustangDanny 12-14-2001 02:57 PM

Okay, well then here's another question. Why are all the DSS shortblocks a $100 more if you are going to use TFS TW heads?

NO SLO PK 12-14-2001 04:55 PM

Probably because the valve reliefs in the pistons are different.

5ohCOUPE 12-14-2001 07:13 PM

TFS are ok but I like the aluminum World Products Windsor SR. I have the Windsor JR on mine because its just a 302 with mild mods. But for max flow and PRICE the SRs are a good choice. The cast iorn SRs are even more cheap.:D

Mach 1 12-15-2001 07:20 AM

if you want to spend under $1000.00, you already eliminated half the choices in your poll. Did you do price research first?

Stang Runner 12-15-2001 10:02 AM

I am think the AFR's are the best out of the box out there But You did say 1000 or less and those are 1300+ for a 1000 I would say get the TFS heads are the next best thing and they are in your range you are looking for too.

SaleenGTS 12-15-2001 10:16 AM

I have had 2 sets of TW's, a set of 6037's and a set of GT-40's on my 93 Cobra I had. I like the TW's best of all. I got mine for %950, O-Ringed, and from Saleen, who is notorious for jacking prices up. I dunno why these were so cheap.

TW's perform a litle better than the 165's, and a lot betther than the rest on that list.

Stang Runner 12-15-2001 10:30 AM

I think the AFR's are better but they are both very close The Flow ### for the AFR a very good and so are the TFS But down low the Ex on the AFR's is better and they come with stuff like a 5 angle job out of the box BUT the TFS With same work done will be better so it is up to you what you get. Mine 165's flowed better than what AFR said by all most 8 cfm the ex side that is and 2 less on the Intake side then what they say But the heads will work very good with a Blower or NO2 with the Flowing of the EX side being so good on the heads.
But it is very hard to compare the 2 the AFR 165 have 1.90 Intake on them get very close too the TW that are 2.02 they flow a bit better up high like 2-6cfm better but that meand the 165 have a higher velocity on the air that is goin In and helps make the gas mix a bit better and yes the TW in some times do better and the same with the AFR's too BUT lest say the 185 they are 2.02 Intake and it is Far Better than the TW (More Flow) on the Intake side. Sorry I amd not saying the TW are Bad they are Very good And Yes a better price too But it all realy matters on what the combo realy is.
I am not saying you dont know what you are talking about Heck I am not saying i realy know what I am talking about.

fastang 12-15-2001 04:44 PM

I have gained about 60rwhp from the unported TFS head/Holley intake swap. The TFS heads will outflow the AFR 165's mostly because the AFR 165's have smaller valves. The AFR 185's are probably the best head around right now but you cant use them on a stock shortblock without notching your stock pistons(which is risky) or buing a new set of dished pistons.

The TFS heads and the AFR 185's both have 202 intake valves but the Trick flows are cantered at an angle so the large valves will clear the pistons while the AFR's will not.

However ALL AFR heads come cnc ported too while the TFS heads are not.......but then again the TFS heads are about 400 bucks cheaper and can be CNC ported for a few extra bucks too.

Skyman 12-16-2001 04:03 AM

TFS

MustangDanny 12-17-2001 04:26 PM

So if I were to go with the TFS heads, would they work without getting new pistons? I am going to bebuild, but I wasn't planning on getting new pistons unless I had to.

Mach 1 12-18-2001 01:02 AM

with 170K on motor, you should buy the AFR 185's (best available) and buy new pistons that will work with them.

byrnech 12-18-2001 01:05 AM

Here is my idea, get the new block with new pistons. But get the inline valves instead of the TW's which are 100.00 or so more. Save up two hundred more dollars plus the one hundred you saved by not getting the TW pistons and get the AFR 185's. Dyno testing has shown that the 185's don't lose out on the low end compared to the 165's, and they gain a lot more on the top end. Unlike a world products JR vs. SR head on the same set up. What is 200.00 more when you are already spending a couple thousand? Do it right the first time so you don't have to do it again. I may be a little partial to the AFR's because I have them, but before you buy the heads get a chance to see each one in person if you can. I think you will be sold on them as well.

MustangDanny 12-18-2001 08:24 AM

Fordmuscle.com did a shoot-out between all the popular heads out there and one thing that I was VERY suprised at was the GT-40X heads. They tested the to flow 235 CFM (at .7 lift on the intake side) and 167 CFM (at .6 lift on the exhaust). That compared to the Edelbrock Performers (215 CFM intake at .6 lift, 179 CFM exhaust at .7 lift) was interesting. And then compared to TFS heads, (242 CFM intake at .6 lift, 198 CFM exhaust at .7 lift) they are not much worse. They didn't test AFR heads. Does anyone now what the numbers on the AFR heads (out of the box) are?

byrnech 12-18-2001 11:57 PM

If I am not mistaken they are rated at 270 and 190 cfm intake and exhaust. MM&FF got 273 and 191 out of the box, if i'm not mistaken. For the 185's that is. There are a couple of places that sell the 185's and the 165's for the same price, pedistal or stud mount.

MustangDanny 12-19-2001 08:36 AM

This place has ported AFR 165's and 185's for the same price ($1299)

http://www.totalengineairflow.com/pr...head/index.htm

MiracleMax 12-23-2001 06:55 PM

Just don't use a Edelbrock Vic 5.0 efi intake with the 185cc heads, you'll have to a bit of port matching to get it to work

Unit 5302 12-23-2001 09:58 PM

If you're going for a N/A 306 you don't need anything more than the 165cc runner heads like the TFS TW, or the AFR 165's. Since the AFR's are way more than $1k, and the TFS TW outflow them (everywhere from what I've seen), it cuts down the options.

The Windsor heads are crap at low lifts, and from the flow data, you can see how linear their flow rate is. They also have very large runners which hurts port velocity. If you talk to the guys who run TFS heads, they have great low end, along with superior top end.

The GT40x head flow numbers I've seen haven't been all that impressive compared to AFR's or TFS's.