MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-21-2002, 07:09 PM   #1
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

Default Help me run low 9's

in the 1/8th My mods are listed below. I was going to take out my aftermarket speakers in the trunk and Amps and all that jazz, maybe the spare tire also. I haven't done the AOD shuffle down the track yet but I'm going to try it. I have street tires that hook up well at the track so thats not a prob. Another wards, I'm gonna drive it like I stole it. I usually shift at about 5,000 rpms. Should I try 5200. My last time to the track it was hot and heavy(humid). It's forecasted to be a bit cooler this time(about 85 compared to 90!). I ran 9.70's consistently with 2.3 60 fts. What do you think? Also, I just started looking into torque converters and was wondering what I should get with my mods(stall speed that is). I do have plans of doing some more to the car in the future so should I wait. Probably won't be nothing to major. Well, you never can tell, one thing leads to another and that leads to another.. I'm sure you guys have the same problem

Thanks, James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
90'5.0 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 07:58 PM   #2
lx mike
Undescribable

What is your m.p.h? my main track is 1/8 mile and i am running 8.8-9.0 @ 78-79 mph. try 5200 shift and see how that helps. a torque converter would help you alot but then you might need better tires.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 09:47 PM   #3
boosted89
Registered Member

I've never had an automatic, so I know nothing about which stall you need, but you may want to look into a shift kit at the same time you do the converter. I think Baumann Engineering makes a popular one with the aod crowd. Also, you may want to try shifting even higher than 5200 (5500 or so) unless power falls off, especially if you are using the stock tach (it's pretty inaccurate, but I still use it). As far as the big stereo goes, I've been curious about the same thing. I'm reluctant to pull mine, because I feel like weight over the rear tires helps to plant them (especially street tires). Last season I got down as far as 1.90 on my 60 ft times (8.23 at 90mph 1/8th) on 17" street radials, and I feel like the subs and amp helped traction. Let me know if you pull it and it makes a difference.
F303
11 lb Powerdyne
TKO tranny, 3.73 rear
Most of the other stuff, too
boosted89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 03:14 PM   #4
90'5.0 Conv

lx mike-My mph is usually between72.6 and 72.9. I really do think the torque converter will help but just not sure what stall to get and what manufacturer to go with. I was thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500 stall to 2800. Thats considering my car is basically stock. It would be real nice to need some slicks but until I have the power to spin em, then I'll wait. The track I go to is very well kept. You can get away with a high 8 on street tires believe it or not Well, I'll say most can. I'm running it this Friday night and I'll see how the higher shift point works out. I just don't want to hurt anything.

Boosted 89-In my sig, I have the shift kit listed. The shift point idea I'll give a go as I told LX mike. I really like my stereo but those speaker boxes weight a ton. I'll probably lose 100 lbs by pulling it out. How much weight do you think your hauling over those rear tires with your speakers and amp, etc. I will let you know if it makes a difference. Bauman makes torque converters. Who sells them? I haven't heard of them before. I would like to find out about them though. From what I've heard, B&M is not too popular so I think I'll stray away from them.

Thanks for your help, James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
Old 05-23-2002, 01:11 AM   #5
boosted89
Registered Member

Oops, sorry - I must have been sleepy and missed the shift kit in your sig. My amps are built into my box, so it probably weighs 70-80 lbs (guessing). If your car hooks up good on street tires now, then I would definitely ditch the box. You can always put it back in later. I'm not sure what all Baumann makes for the AOD's, maybe just valve body kits (www.baumannengineering.com). Precision Industries makes a Stallion converter for the AOD. They have some good reprints of articles from mags like MM&FF on their website (www.converter.com). Maybe some of the AOD guys on here have some ideas on which converter is best? Even though I have a 5-speed, I'd love to see what a Lentech AOD and a twin-turbo setup would do.......that could be fun.
F303
11 lb Powerdyne
TKO tranny, 3.73 rear
Most of the other stuff, too
boosted89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 05:29 PM   #6
90'5.0 Conv

Default Much Better!

Well, I went to the track last night and have to say I'm impressed. I removed my speakers and spare tire from the trunk. I cleaned my K@N filter and shifted a bit higher(5200 rpm's seemed to lose power anywhere higher). Here was my best slip of the night.
Reaction- .497
60 ft- 2.167!(much better compared to previous best 2.29)
1/8th ET- 9.47
It was about 85* and humidity wasn't too bad. Overall, I was really happy. I think the diet did her alot of good. She seems happy with me As far as hooking up, I didn't quite hook up good until they sprayed the track but my worst 60 ft was a 2.23 so I can't complain. C ya later aftermarket stereo and hello battery relocation kit.

Thanks for the advice everyone, James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04