MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-06-2002, 01:26 PM   #1
mimicons
Registered Member

Question Help with Motor-Mounts

I have a problem. Recently, my rear drivers-side header is rubbing on my steering shaft, so it looks like my motor mounts are gone, and I will need to replace them. The question is this...is this something that can be done by me, or is it really something that needs to be taken to a shop for? Please give me any advice that you think will help especially if you have had to replace your mounts. THANKS!
mimicons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 02:00 PM   #2
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

You can do it... Do you have tools and a good jack and jack stands? It's pretty easy, but it will take some patience and a little time to do! (It did for me, at least) Good luck and let us know if you do!
Old 02-06-2002, 02:07 PM   #3
LOWKEY
Registered Member

Yeah its not that bad. Just be sure to get the convertible mounts, they have a interlocking design and are much stronger.

Stroked
Poked &
BLOWN

low 11's and it goes around corners too

Parts for Sale!!
http://www.lowkey.stangnet.com/catalog.html
LOWKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 09:26 PM   #4
gtsr515
Registered Member

You can do it! Get the 93 Convertible mounts, as they are upgraded from earlier years. Have you considered solid mounts?
Old 02-06-2002, 09:59 PM   #5
drudis

For the price of stock (convertible) mounts, consider getting the Energy Suspension ones for about the same price.

I personally went with the HPM solid ones. Not toooo bad, if you dont mind not being able to use the rear view mirror at speed...

http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:31 AM   #6
stanger8172
Registered Member

I got the Jeg's solid mounts. They look well done.

As far as mounting them it looks like the driver's side is easy but the passenger side looks like it might have to have the starter removed to get at the mount where it attaches to the motor. Maybe I am wrong though.
'91 LX convertible , T-5, Centerforce Dual Friction, MSD Blaster Coil, FR 9MM wires, 13* timing, 1.6rr, ported/polished/milled stock heads, 1.94/1.60 stainless valves, March Performance Pulleys, K&N panel, 1"spacer, BBK shorties, 2 1/2" off road H, Summit 2 1/2" catback
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 07:26 AM   #7
Mustang_289
Registered Member

Had the same problem with our stang put MAC longtubes on and the #2 tube was rubbing bottom of steering linkage. I don't know if the convertable mounts change the height of the engine. We put on the Energy mounts which actually lowered the motor a little vs stock mounts from Ford and we now have about 1" clearance.

Mounts are not too hard to put on if you've got the jacks and tools!
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 06:46 AM   #8
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

i just replaced mine the other day......not real hard to do,if you have some half decent tools you can do it.......

i used a 16" extension with a universal to undo the two bolts holding the bracket that mounts to moter ........took the bracet out and changed the mounts on it with it out..........

you will need a good jack and if you can get two jacks it'll go easier(i needed two for tilting the moter back and forth)

as for getting them out ,it was actually easier on the passenger side...........i have equal lenth headers and could only tilt moter from side to side so much .........all i had to do was take the oil filter out to get the driver side out ........

when jacking up the moter keep an eye out at the fire wall ,watch your heater hoses and your map sencor.......i also had to unfasten the radiator shroud to lift moter high enough

good luck
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 08:58 AM   #9
lilstang
Registered Member

Default motor mounts

i have a set of solid mounts for sale $45 for the pair they are 45 a piece new from Jegs email stampeder302@yahoo.com if interested
lilstang is offline   Reply With Quote