MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-22-2001, 08:26 AM   #1
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Unhappy HELP!!!! My motor may have croaked!

OK, here it is short and sweet. I went to the track last night and something happened.....BAD. I had my helmet on so I didn't hear anything. After I hit the traps, I noticed that my car was missing awfully. Missed the whole way home. Every time I would accelerate, it would stink really bad and smoke from the dip stick tube. It feels like it is running on 7 cylinders, and runs reallllly rough.

It isn't leaking, or overheating. No water in the oil. but even at idle, smoke pours up through the dip stick tube. Any Ideas???? Head Gasket,piston, rings, valves????

PLEASE HELP

------------------
Dustin
89 Saleen GT Sport,428 rwhp,TFS Street Heat Intake,TFS TW Heads,TFS #2 cam,BD-11A 9 psi,Crane 1.6 rr's,BBK 70mm TB,Pro-M 80mm MAF,MSD 6BTM, FMS 9mm wires,BBK longtubes,BBK Short H-pipe,American Thunder cat back,3.55's

12.3@119 street tires

11.496@121.08slicks
SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 10:33 AM   #2
5ohCOUPE
Registered Member

Exclamation

SOUNDS LIKE YOU LIFTED A RING LAND OR BURNED A PISTON. COULD ALSO BE BROKEN OR CRAKED RING.
5ohCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 02:31 PM   #3
PKRWUD

Your sig doesn't say what type of pistons you have, but I'm guessing one of them has a hole in it now. Have you pulled the plugs yet? Compression check? What have YOU figured out?

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 03:56 PM   #4
bada$$lx

Cool

Sorry to hear that Dustin. That sucks. It doesn't sound like a blown head gasket or valve to me....but check compression anyway, like PKR said. It could be as simple as you fryind a plug or two.
Old 09-22-2001, 04:26 PM   #5
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I don't think Chris was suggesting it may be a bad plug, but to see which cylinder may be the culprit by looking for a bad plug. That is my guess anyway.

I think a compression check is in order too.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 04:21 AM   #6
PKRWUD

I read his sig, and it sounds like a piston burning machine to me. If it did burn a hole through one of the pistons, the spark plug from that cylinder will have dozens of metal fragments welded to it. If the smoke is predominantly exiting from the dip stick tube, then it's obviously a new hole in the bottom end, not in the heads. It could be several things, but the description lends itself to the probabillity that the engine leaned out and burned a hole in the piston. This guy is a racer, and I presume he knows a few things about the engine, so it would only be natural for him to have done some diagnostics himself, the most basic of which are to check the plugs and the compression. I was just inquiring to see if this had been done, and what the results were.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote