MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-21-2002, 08:49 PM   #1
Stang39r
Registered Member

Default help!! o/r h-pipe problems

well i just installed my o/r h-pipe yesterday and i have fallen in love with the sound....BUT!!! but i have a handful of problems now. first off, i am at a total loss of power. ive lost it all. there is no torque and feels like no hp anymore. just gone.

second, there is an exhaust smell coming from my vents. is that normal or is there a leak in the connections?? could this be the problem thats causing a loss of power (lack of pressure??)

lastly, i think its supposed to be like this but is there supposed to be a kind of clicking from the headers/h-pipe connection?? the exhaust itself soundsa AWSOME but really only from behind. my buddy says it kinda sounds like a tractor on speed. just curious if this is normal or if it sounds like a leak. thanx a ton everyone
Stang39r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 09:30 PM   #2
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default Get back under the car...

You have an exhaust leak. They almost always make a ticking noise. It is coming from the flange connection between the H-pipe and the header. Make sure that the dome on the header is completely seated in the H-pipe. A leak in this area will cause a dramatic loss of torque. You should be gaining a noticable amount of power from this upgrade. The only exhaust smell should be coming out of the tailpipes. Time to get back under there....
Old 05-22-2002, 12:59 AM   #3
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Yea it took me a while to get all the leaks worked out, but just tighten and retighten, just do each side little at a time, i cant wait to get rid of my mac h-pipe, sounds good, but im ready for something different, such as a prochamber x-pipe.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 12:28 PM   #4
USMC302
Registered Member

Also, it is best to bolt up exhaust on a drive on lift or ramps, jacking it up on the frame and bolting in causes leaks too because of the uneven body twist. Make sure you do each side a little at a time going back and forth between the two as mentioned earlier, this will help the installation go smooth with good results, good luck.
Old 05-22-2002, 01:38 PM   #5
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

off the subject a little, but usmc, how do you go low 12's on a 302? i mean what heads intake combo are you using? and comression...thnx.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 07:32 PM   #6
Stang39r
Registered Member

well back on topic ...i tightened everything up and it sounds great buuuuuuuuuuuuut, no difference. maybe a tiny bit back. its still the same. i cleaned the MAF, changed fuel and PCV filter and anything else i could think of. the only thing left is try new O2 sensors but i have to wait a week for my buddy to get his MILS so i can take his back O2 sensors (if anyone knows they fit or not). any more ideas will be taken into consideration. thanx a ton
Stang39r is offline   Reply With Quote