MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-03-2002, 07:27 PM   #1
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

Thumbs down Help! Overheating prob with daily driver

Alright I know this isn't the Honda message board but I thought maybe I could get some help here. If this is the wrong spot for this, I apologize. I know when it comes down to cars though, cars are cars and maybe someone can relate to my problem. Today, I was driving my 91 honda civic home from work and it started to overheat. It went up and down for a bit(ten minutes), then finally went sky high, luckily I made it to the house before it got too hot. Anyway, the car has 213,000 miles on it and I just changed the plugs a few weeks ago and unfortunately the #3 plug was covered in oil. So, I realize I have a short life to live on the motor but I'll ride it out. Like I said, it started acting up today and I've checked out a few things. First thing I did was change the thermostat, that didn't work so i checked and made sure the fan was coming on. The weird thing is when I'm idling the car or just leave it in park, i can rev the motor and everything is great till I head down the road, then the problems start. Everytime I head somewhere, it gets hot prettty quickly. I was thinking maybe the transaxle was giving me a problem. Is that a possibility? Why would it just overheat when I'm driving yet when I rev the heck out of it in park, nothing? Thanks a bunch for any advice. I hate to drive the mustang daily, gotta take care of my baby. I'm sure you understand Anyway, all ideas are welcome and again I'm sorry if this is inappropriate but I have nowhere else to turn to for help.

Thanks, James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
90'5.0 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 08:24 PM   #2
gtsr515
Registered Member

Head Gasket? Water Pump? Bad Coolant? Radiator Cap? Low Coolant? Fan? Shrouds? Relays?

Had an 88 CRX, but no problems? Just trying to help.

I say Water pump.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:33 PM   #3
90'5.0 Conv

Would the water pump work fine at idle and not when I drive it? Theres no coolant leaking anywhere. There's no coolant in the oil. The fan does work, I can hear it cut on. By the way, it's an automatic if that makes a difference. I can see this is going to be a royal pain in the you know who.

James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
Old 06-03-2002, 10:28 PM   #4
greydan
Registered Member

Default overheat

Check the physical appearance of your lower radiator hose when you rev it. If it appears to squish, and change form...it's bad and is restricting the water flow, when you are driving. Takes awhile to overheat, with partial restriction, if it goes oval
the volumn capacity is reduced.
greydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 08:17 PM   #5
90'5.0 Conv

I went ahead and replaced the upper and lower hoses, flushed the system again and that didn't work. It seems weird how it does. Let me see if I can explain it. I go ahead and start the car, running idle for awhile and temp is fine. As soon as I go for a drive, the needle looks ok for about 1 minute(while accelerating), then starts getting hot quickly but if I just coast, temp will eventually go back to right spot after a few minutes. If I slow to an idle and sit there, the temp will go back to the normal reading after a few minutes. I'm really confused Any other ideas fellas?

Thanks, James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
Old 06-06-2002, 10:14 PM   #6
rbatson

This may not be much help but.. How does the belt look? Is it stretched or worn where it may be slipping and not turning the water pump like it should? Just a thought..
Old 06-07-2002, 10:49 AM   #7
LOCASH
Registered Member

Is the temp sensor working? Is the car really getting that hot? Maybe its the sensor or the gauge?
Old 06-07-2002, 03:18 PM   #8
90'5.0 Conv

Unfortunately, it is getting that hot. The belt that operates the water pump is the timing belt I think and no I haven't looked at it yet. But remember if it's at an idle its fine. If I could find a way to stick my head under the hood whiile driving down the highway, I probably could see the problem I could take the timing belt cover off and look but that probably won't tell me much unless it's obviously loose so I'll take a peek and let you know what I find out. Thanks for the help.

James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
Old 06-07-2002, 03:26 PM   #9
jerrys84
Registered Member

i always thought, unless a water pump is leaking, it does'nt need replacing??

previous stangs;

lightly modded 84GT

81 2.3 converted to 302 auto
jerrys84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 03:41 PM   #10
LOCASH
Registered Member

Maybe there is an air pocket in the cooling system. Try putting the car so that the radiator is the highest point. Like park the front end on a curb. Take off the cap and let it run for a while. If there is any air trapped in the system, this should bring it out. Other than that, I'm tapped.
Old 06-07-2002, 04:33 PM   #11
90'5.0 Conv

Jerry-The water pump does leak when it goes bad but Rbatson was talking about the belt maybe slipping from being loose.

I'm going to start digging around soon and check the belt but I will try so see if theres an air pocket like Locash mentioned. It won't hurt to try. Thanks for your help. I will keep you posted on what I've done and haven't done. Thanks for the ideas.

James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
Old 06-08-2002, 02:27 PM   #12
90'5.0 Conv

Talking Running Cool Again!!

Well, i just got back from my test drive and everything looks great! A big thanks to everyone who helped. Locash, an especially big thanks, turns out you were right. I did like you said, run the car with the cap off, put it up on some ramps and let it bubble up for about 20 minutes. Put on the cap and everythings great. I don't know how an air pocket got in there and I've never heard of it but I sure appreciate the advice.

Thanks a bunch, James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
Old 06-09-2002, 09:40 AM   #13
LOCASH
Registered Member

No Problem!! Glad I could help.