MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-19-2003, 06:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

Default Help please

I have 1.72 roller rockers and when I tourqe them down they push down on the valves and it looks like they are opening. IS this ok
289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 10:52 PM   #2
Nixon1
Registered Member

Uhm, I think it depends. It's definitely not ok if the valves are staying cracked all the time. I'm not good with valves though so I can't explain how to set them properly...I'm sure someone else on here can.

Current stats: NEW 302 short block, E-303 cam (@.050, 220/220, .498/.498, 110 degrees), 1.6 roller rockers, Performer RPM heads (aluminum, 1.9/1.6, 60cc chambers), Cobra intake, Granatelli 75mm MAF, Billet AFPR, Equal-Length Shorty Headers, Off-Road X Pipe, Flowmasters, 4.10 POSI

13.73 at 103.8, ~2.2 60'
Nixon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 11:50 PM   #3
420nitro
Registered Member

I assume these are pedistal mount rockers?
If they are they go as follows:
Upon compression stroke at top dead center is when you bolt down you rockers to 18-20 ft. pounds for that cylinder.
Know you ask, when is the next cylinder on compression stroke.
The trick is on your harmonic balancer. You will notice that theres a bolt lined up with your pointer. (timing tab) When the next bolt lines up with the tab again your next cylinder is ready for the next set of roller rockers. Your next cylinder goes by your firing order starting with number 1 cylinder. If you find that after proper tightning that your push rod is tight or valves are opening then you will need shims. (generally you want to be able to twist or spin the push rod with your fingers and not have any up & down movement...also known as 0 lash after tightening your bolt). After completion you should check your work by proforming a compression check. You know you did something wrong when theres no compression in one of the cylinders.(one of the valves are open or both for that cylinder.) If you have compression in all the cylinders then congrats...your done.
Good Luck
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 08:57 AM   #4
andy669
Registered Member

Default Re: Help please

Quote:
Originally posted by 289
I have 1.72 roller rockers and when I tourqe them down they push down on the valves and it looks like they are opening. IS this ok
If you are getting your 1/4 to 1/2 turn of preload when you reach your final torque value and the valves are opening a little, thats fine. The lifters are pumped up and the pressure inside the lifter is greater than the spring pressure. Dont worry about it, the lifters will bleed down.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote