MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-26-2002, 05:11 PM   #1
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

Default Help, Please, Making my decision this weekend!!

Hey guys,
This is a bit long but please help me if you have the time, (and the heart. )
Its coming down to decision time. I'm doing my exhaust from headers back. I've done my research on prices and quality.
Just please tell me what you think and if I f@#ked up on my choices and matches, please let me know so I don't screw up my car.
Here are my choices(I think)

H-pipe: BBK Off Road(but there is also the BBK X)
Cat-Back: Magna Flow 3.5"Tips

This is the tough one; Headers:
I've priced BBK, MAC, Ford Racing, and Hedman. What do you guys think? (or any other brand)

I need to know a good match. And I would like good sound(but no flowmasters)
I've priced a lot but if you are going to recommend something, please try to stay close to the price range of what I've listed.

And on a side note, I was thinking about getting pulleys but I dont' know much about them so if you can throw in your .02, it would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot guys
Scott
Mostly stock(looking to modify)

Rice Haters Club Member #63
SCOTTLT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 10:50 PM   #2
95stang50
Registered Member

The choice is really yours. I did a compleat exaust on my '95 last year and got Mac long tube headers, mac off road H-pipe and flowmaster 2chamber cat-back. Its sounds really nice at high rpm's but low end stuggles. I recently got a mac cat H-pipe and that was a great improvement. That was until i blew out one of the cats with in the first 2weeks. So to give you some advice, go with BBK. My Mac headers have really started to rust under the car and i have never been able to get a good seal. At either the head or the H-pipe. Oh and about the pullies, i put them on my car and i did notice a small difference. But the biggest change you will notice will be when you start to overheat in traffic and your lights dim when you are at a stop light. Hope i was of some help. Good luck!
95stang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 11:15 PM   #3
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

The bbk equal lenghts are an excellent choice. You will want the equal lengths for better flowing reasons down the modification road. But if you never plan on doing anything else to the car besides exhaust, then get regular shorties. I recommend the BBK over the MAC because the mac's have individual mounting flanges and the BBK's have one mounting flange. This really makes a difference when installing them.

Flowtech makes an offroad H pipe that is about $20 or $30 less than BBK's. It mates up well with the BBK shorties. I don't think summit has it but I know jeg's does.

The cat back really depends on what sound you prefer to hear. Personally, I love the sound of a 2 chamber flowmaster. Even though everybody and their mother has them. Dynomax is a good choice too.

Pulleys are okay if you don't mind overheating when driving in town. And if you don't mind replacing your alternator and battery a little sooner than normal. Don't get the MAC pulleys. I have had personal experience with them. They cost me 2 alternators and a battery. I even tried deleting the underdrive alt pulley. No luck.

Good luck making your decision. Whatever you decide to go with, you will be pleased. I hope my 2 cents was worth reading.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:24 PM   #4
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Quote:
Magna Flow 3.5"Tips

hope you like LOUD exhaust

It's all up to you man, but if you don't want flowmasters, then I'd suggest Dynomax. They sound good, but aren't as loud as flowbabies, and when you lay the hammer down, they open up nice and loud.

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 09:35 PM   #5
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

Thanks guys,

I really need to know if anyone has had any experience with any of these products. I appreciate Ieatcamaros response about the MAC headers being crap, thanks, now I won't go with them. I really need more responses like that one.

Mr 5.0, if you see this, I really need some help fast and you have always given me good advice in the past. So if you are there, let me know what you think.

Do any of you think that I will be disappointed with the Magnaflows? I've never heard them but I look at that as a good thing because noone else around really has them. I do want good loud sound.

Thanks again
Scott
Mostly stock(looking to modify)

Rice Haters Club Member #63
SCOTTLT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 11:16 PM   #6
manycars23
Registered Member

I don't know a whole lot about the MAC headers being crap, because I don't own any...however. As far as underdrives and exhaust back from the stock manifolds...I do know quite a bit. Go with a MAC O. R. h-pipe and they have a fairly new set of mufflers that sound good and flow better than the flowmasters i had on my other stang. They aren't quite as loud but sound a bit louder than stock but not that awfully loud sound you get from flowmasters. Now if you want a relatively loud sound and rich go with the Flowtech Terminators they are good too...had them on my 89gt. As for the pullies I own some MAC pullies as well....they work great on a 94 or 95 stang well worth the investment....you will notice a difference right away!!! I hope this helps out in your decision
manycars23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 11:24 PM   #7
Scrapla
Registered Member

I just did my exhaust on my 90gt and went with MAC equal length shortys and there off road H pipe ending with 2 dual chambered flow masters to dumps and it sounds awesome. Didnt cost that much either
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote