MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-14-2002, 03:59 PM   #1
Meatman
Registered Member

Default HELP: Problems after Paxton Novi 1000 install

I have a 93 AOD 5.0 LX that I just put a Paxton Novi 1000 SC on. Since then I have had several problems.

1) I had problems at higher RPM's (4500+) where the cars forward motion seemed to stutter/surge when the throttle was in a steady position for cruising. Installing new FRPP wires, MSD 6AL ignition and MSD Blaster coil has seems to have resolved this for the most part.

2) When I first start the car, sometimes it stalls after only running a few seconds, once it is restarted, it is fine. This only happens when I start when the car is cool and been off for a few hours. Any ideas?

3) When I first take off after starting her up, the car, with my C&L 73mm MAF installed, pops and even back fires a few times, whereas with the stock MAF installed, the car rumbles with back pressure noticeably but doesn't BANG! like the C&L. This occurs when I let off the gas from accellaration in higher RPMs (3000+) of first and second or third gear. After about 1 minute of driving the BANGING stops but the backpressure is still pretty loud. If I stop the car, turn it off, start it again and repeat the accellerate, let off gas steps, it BANGS again, but only for about a minute. Again, this BANGING only happens for the first minute with my C&L installed, with the Stock it is just loud backpressure only.

My thought, the computer is losing its settings, making the car too rich and it is banging. after a short period, in this case about a minuite, the computer learns and the popping stops as it leans the car out a bit. Why only with the C&L?, not sure, maybe too much air now (73mm vs stock 58mm)?

Any ideas?

4) With regards to the backpressure, it has always been there, but it is really noticeable, especially with my C&L 73mm MAF installed. One thing someone mentioned was the Air pump and that it might be causing some of the Back Pressure problems. On my stock H-Pipe I noticed there is a single .5" inlet the Y's out to each pipe right before the Cats at the back of the pipes (I have a custom 2.5" H-pipe on the car now which I am not too sure about. When I picked my car up after the SC install, the guy mentioned the Air Pump and handed me what I believe is a smaller motorcraft pulley (part # GP-683 or F0CZ-10344-C). When installing a SC, do you need to change out the pulley for the air pump?

Any ideas?

5) When the car is warmer and I am moving at slow speeds (say in stop and go traffic), sometimes the car hesitates, bogs, almost stalls or even almost backfire pops. This, 9 times out of ten, occurs in the bottom of the RPMs (1000-1500'ish) of 2nd gear when I go from just rolling to applying gas. I have not noticed this when the car is at normal operating temperture.

Any ideas?

Anyway, as for my Mods, here is a list, just in case....

-MAC Shorty Headers
-Custom 2.5" H-pipe with high-flo cats
-Magnaflow 2.5" cat back
-MSD 6AL Ignition
-MSD Blaster Coil
-Brand new FRPP Wires
-Paxton Novi 1000 @ 5lbs with FMU for 19lbs
-BBK adj. fuel reg., fuel pressure is @ 41lbs with vac disconnected. I have had pressure everywhere in 38-42psi range
-Motorcraft C32 plugs gapped at .035
-FRPP 3.73 gears
-AOD with hardened parts and a Lentech AOD VB
-C&L 73mm for 19lb injectors
- 155LPH in-tank fuel pump
-Everything else is stock (heads, injectors, intake, TB, etc.)

This problem has been going on for over a month now...so any help would be great!

Cheers,
Jim
206.9 RWHP/263TQ
Low 13's is my next goal!

Meatman's StangPage
Meatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 08:10 AM   #2
Meatman
Registered Member

bump
206.9 RWHP/263TQ

Meatman's StangPage
Old 10-17-2002, 08:39 AM   #3
Meatman
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Bump
206.9 RWHP/263TQ

Meatman's StangPage
Old 10-17-2002, 06:03 PM   #4
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Do you have the C&L upside down like Paxton shows in the directions?? Alot of people have had to "clock" the MAF to get their car running correctly. Also, from people I have talked to, a bypas valve is a must. Even with only 5 psi, the NOVI 1000 seems to like a bypass valve.

I'd try clocking your MAF and see if that cures some of your problems.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote