MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-11-2003, 08:08 PM   #1
my9250GT

Default Click Click!

I have a 92 GT with bbk equal length headers,bassani x-pipe w/ cats, flowmasters, eibach springs(which lowered the car about 1 1/2 in.) and some other stuff that is not relevent to my question..I recently got all this stuff installed and on sunday i started to hear a "click" or "knock" comming from underneath the car. it only happens when i step on the gas if the clutch is pushed in and i am coasting and i step on the gas it does not click! it only seems to do it in gear and only after i press the accelerator but it only does it once, if i let go and step on it again it does it.it is really starting to annoy me! if anyone has any clues to what is causing it please post...also i lifted the rear end and put on jack stands then i put it in gear and hit the gas and no noise....
my9250GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 08:50 PM   #2
my9250GT

I also forgot to mention 3:27 gears in the rear. those were on the car when i got it.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:28 PM   #3
richd
Registered Member

Did you have any clutch/transmission work done recently?

Sounds like your pilot bearing. It mates the crankshaft to the input shaft of the transmission and only spins when the clutch is pressed in (allowing crank and input shaft to spin at different speeds).

Check here for tips on removing the old bearing (it can be a pain in the rear):

http://forums.mustangworks.com/showt...ighlight=pilot

Good luck,

Rich D.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 09:48 PM   #4
my9250GT

No it has not had tranny or clutch work. the only thing that was done to it was the lowering and exhaust work.. i had my wife listen to the noise and she says it sounds like its comming from the rear of the driveshaft by the rear wheels and is louder in the rear of the car any ideas...i think it might be the joint between the driveshaft and rear axle.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:28 AM   #5
richd
Registered Member

Ok...I misread your original post. I read "when I step on the gas if the clutch is pushed in" rather than "when I step on the gas. If the clutch is pushed in and I am coasting".

It is definitely the universal joints on the driveshaft. They are less than $20 each and are not too hard to replace.

Or you could get an aluminum driveshaft

Good luck,

Rich D.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 03:46 PM   #6
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I'll back him up with the U joints... perhaps the lowering of it has changed the angle of the driveshaft as well... less tension so they started clicking... but it's a cake job..
-as
Old 03-13-2003, 06:19 PM   #7
my9250GT

thanks guys it was the joints!
appreciate all your help