MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-14-2002, 01:16 PM   #1
rppngears
Registered Member

Default help with speedometer

Hey guys, I need some help here. I am working on my speedometer cable, I am trying to lubricate it to fix my wobbling speedometer. I have found where the cable goes into the back of the gauge cluster, and I removed the white squeeze clip from it. I then tried to pull the cable out and it moved a couple of inches but then got stuck. I can't get it to come out anymore and as of now the cable itself is not exposed, only the metal outer housing is so I can't lubricate it.
How can I either remove it completely or remove at least more of it so I can lubricate it. Do I need to remove the gauge cluster and somehow unfasten it from there. This doesn't seem necessary since I can see and reach the back of the cluster by laying on the floor and reaching behind the dash.
Any help would really help.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:48 AM   #2
rppngears
Registered Member

Default Speedometer

Any suggestion????
Old 08-15-2002, 11:04 AM   #3
Scott Wilder
Registered Member

Default cable woes

My suggestion is don't bother, lubing it I mean,I tried the same thing and the thing still screams. I suspect the plastic core looses flexibility with age. I am going to bite the bullet and go to the dealer and get a replacement. I hear it is about $80. Anyone know of an aftermarket cable? As to your problem, I dont remember having any trouble after I figured out how to get that white thing off.
swilder@loweenterprises.com
Scott Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 11:49 AM   #4
Mustang_289
Registered Member

You can get aftermarket cables from TexasMustang and several other places I'm sure. This is a universal cable that you'll need to goto Ford to get the gear piece that goes on the tranny side. Make sure you let them know what gears you have.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 03:26 PM   #5
rppngears
Registered Member

Default speedometer

Do you remember if you just pulled the cable straight out after the clip was removed? Myne just won't budge. I definitely should not have to remove the dash and gauge cluster though right?? Thanks for your help.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:23 AM   #6
Scott Wilder
Registered Member

As I remember it just pulled out but I had the cluster basically out, I couldn't even get near it without removing the cluster.
swilder@loweenterprises.com
Scott Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 02:03 PM   #7
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Yeah, my speedometer hasn't worked for over a year now. It reads way over my actual speed and most of the time its flying back and forth between 60 and 80 MPH.

I just look at the tach and I have an approximate idea of what speed I am going in a given gear.

"But officer, my speedometer broke last week and the dealer doesn't have the new one in yet. I didn't even realize this car would go 140 miles per hour"

Okay, maybe that excuse won't work if I'm going 140, but it might work for a 10 over ticket. He can always drive it and see I'm not lying about the speedo not working.
190 LPH fuel pump, 3-row radiator,
Maximum Motorsports full length subframes

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada(wife's car)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL (company ride)

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS !!!!
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 02:26 PM   #8
rppngears
Registered Member

For anyone out there with a broken speedo, I know how much it used to piss me off to never know how fast your going. So I came up with a formula I thought I should share. It will be slightly different of course for those of you with different gear ratios, but it's not hard to come up with. My formula also only works in 5th gear, but it can be easily modified to work in any gear.

Speed in MPH (while in 5th gear) = RPM's *9/250 + 6.

Hopefully if I can get my speedometer cable out of the back of the gauge cluster, I won't need this formula any more since, again hopefully, I'll have a working speedometer.
Old 08-17-2002, 07:42 AM   #9
PKRWUD

90% of the time, the only way to correct a bouncing speedo is to replace the head unit.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: