MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-16-2002, 12:31 PM   #1
daveGT
Registered Member

Unhappy Help! 'Stang needs suspension upgrade! Please recommend shock/spring combo!

I have an '88GT with stock suspension (still!). It rattles the change out of the ashtray over any bump, small or large. I need to replace the springs/shocks/struts with a combo which will offer a smooth ride.

I'd like the following characteristics:

1. Everyday driver - smooth ride, firm but not mushy.
2. I'd like a slightly lower ride height than stock.
3. "Economic"
4. Durable

Please recommend your combos, how you like them, what to avoid, etc.

Thanks for any advice!!

'94 Lightning:
White, stock except 50 series Flowmasters

'99 GT (wife's):
Chrome yellow, stock with some pretty slick "flame" pinstripes!
daveGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 12:49 PM   #2
RPM427
Registered Member

I would recomend going to maximum motorsports. ( http://www.maximummotorsports.com ) , They have many packages for different levels of suspension.

Before I can recomend anything else, Is this for handling or Strip only? Or would you like a compromise between the two?

Also, how much would you like to spend?

One thing to avoid is getting super stiff springs. The best bet would be to get a spring/shock package. H&R springs with Bilstien shocks are very good in ride quility, lower the car about 1.5 inches and handle great!

Subframe connectors and strut tower brace is almost mandatory if you want your mustang to hanlde good due to unibody flex.

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 05:32 PM   #3
daveGT
Registered Member

RPM427:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I mainly want this for street use. My engine fairly new, and I want to get the suspension upgraded before I even think about taking it to the strip!

My main concern is for daily driving. I want a nice ride, not too harsh, but enough to absorb the normal imperfections of the road.

I'm willing to spend $500 - $1000. You indicate that a strut tower brace will help with the overall effectiveness of the suspension set-up. Interesting. Which combos will fit this budget?

KYB's any good?
Koni?
Tokico?
FMS springs?

I'll check out your suggested link.

'94 Lightning:

'99 GT (wife's):
Old 07-16-2002, 05:46 PM   #4
daveGT
Registered Member

RPM427:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I mainly want this for street use. My engine fairly new, and I want to get the suspension upgraded before I even think about taking it to the strip!

My main concern is for daily driving. I want a nice ride, not too harsh, but enough to absorb the normal imperfections of the road.

I'm willing to spend $500 - $1000. You indicate that a strut tower brace will help with the overall effectiveness of the suspension set-up. Interesting. Which combos will fit this budget?

KYB's any good?
Koni?
Tokico?
FMS springs?

I'll check out your suggested link.

'94 Lightning:

'99 GT (wife's):
Old 07-16-2002, 11:11 PM   #5
jrgoffin
Registered Member

Just another thumbs-up for Bilsteins. I run them with the FMS-C springs (and a bunch of other stuff) and love the ride. It's firm, but that is my preference. I believe the FMS springs are actually made by Eibach, but hear nothing but good things about the H&R's, especially if you get a matched set. Also try www.shox.com for good pricing!

KYB's are bottom of the barrel - you get what you pay for! Haven't heard a thing about the KYB adjustables though. Koni's are up there with the Bilsteins (they both have lifetime warranties too!), just depends on personal preference. Tokico's are decent if you get the adjustable (at least that's what I hear), but I prefer to not have to fuss with the adjustment and let the Bilsteins do all the work! FWIW, the OEM shocks on the Fox-bodies are also made by Tokico for Ford. Hope that helps!
Old 07-17-2002, 07:35 AM   #6
RPM427
Registered Member

I would recomend you get the starter box, plus the chassis brace package. You get the following:

H&R Race Springs
MM Caster / Camber Plates
MM Urethane Pinion Snubber
Bilstein struts and shocks
Front and rear spring isolators

MM Strut Tower Brace
MM 4-Point K-Member Brace
MM Full Length Subframe Connectors.

all this for ~$1,300, and is perfectly fine for the street

The most important thing is stiffening up the chassis for a good foundation. If you can't get the two at once, get the chassis brace package first (~$300).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mmsbox.jpg (45.3 KB, 21 views)

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 11:33 AM   #7
Johnny Fort
Registered Member

I have KYBs and I actually like them. They firm up the ride but it isn't harsh. Good bargain.

I have an Eibach pro-kit and I wouldn't recommend it. They feel OK after getting used to the progressive rate thing. The problem was that they never lowered my car correctly. The front was slammed practically 2 inches and the back was lowered only a half inch. Real stupid looking rake effect. I raised up the front with some coil spring spacers so it looks better now.

If you want to spend a lot and get something nice go with a matched spring/shock combo and get a chassis brace kit. MMs has great stuff. I've heard a lot of good things about H&Rs and Bilstiens.

If you want to go the economical route, get some KYBs and FMS C springs. Then weld up some subframe connectors. That will give a much improved ride.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:31 PM   #8
daveGT
Registered Member

Thanks, guys! Good suggestions.

Two more questions, though:

1. Will lowering the vehicle effect the warranty of a "lifetime" shock/strut package? Seems like a spring/shock combo (from MM, for example) will address this.

2. I have 17" x 9" wheels all around w/ 245/45's. Will lowering the vehicle cause any additional problems with this size wheel/tire? The rims already rub the arm on full turns (no big deal).

Anyone else?

'94 Lightning:

'99 GT (wife's):
Old 07-17-2002, 01:17 PM   #9
Joe50
Registered Member

I run the motorsport C springs and 255/40 front and 275/40 rear. The fender lips had to be removed/rolled and a little of the plastic had to be trimmed here and there, but it can be done.

'94 Vibrant Red GT
Joe50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 12:02 PM   #10
Fox Hound
Registered Member

Go with one of the major players packages, ie. Steeda, Maximum, Griggs or KB. But try not mix and match the parts from different vendors. Make a plan and stick to it that way you do it once and be done with it. It may not be the cheapest way to go in the beginning but in the long run time and money will be saved. I wish I installed the Tokiko Illuminas from the start. I went with the cheapy KYBs and now I regret it and will have to do mu struts/shocks again.
Fox Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 03:11 PM   #11
82 GT
Import Slayer

IMO, I really don't think you can have a smooth ride a still have performance handling. Once you start stiffining the chassis with subframe connectors, K members, lowering springs ect. your're going to get a rough ride not to mention the fact that you have 45 series tires.
Your're going to have to sacrifice something. Ride quality or performance?
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: