MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-26-2001, 06:04 AM   #1
snipe
Registered Member

Post Valve Train

What is the procedure for adjusting hydraulic valve trains? The motor is a 351w with 750 miles on it Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, Comp Extreme Energy cam and Magnum lifters and pushrods.
snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 08:10 PM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

I usually turn the engine over by hand till the valve is fully closed. I watch each valve I'm getting ready to adjust and also it's brother valve. When It is fully closed, I tighten the adj. nut till the push rod won't turn anymore then tighten them approx. 1/2 turn. That usually does it.
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 06:14 AM   #3
PKRWUD

That's a good starting point. Follow that up with a running adjustment. If you have a junk valve cover handy, cut off the top, and install it on one head. Start the engine. Back off one rocker at a time until it starts to clatter. Then, tighten it 1/4 turn, wait 10 seconds for the engine to stabilize, tighten it another 1/4 turn, wait 10 seconds, and one last 1/4 turn. Move to the next valve and do it again. After finishing one side, move the valve cover to the other side. FWIW, most auto parts stores sell oil deflectors that mount onto the rocker arms and keep the oil from making a mess.

Just remember, no matter how you do it, once you find zero lash (start clattering if running, or when the pushrod no longer turns by hand), tighten a total of 3/4 of a turn after zero lash.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote