MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-03-2003, 09:08 PM   #1
zlliksddam
Registered Member

Question Hey I'm New :wavey:

Hello,

I'm Matt, and am about to purchase my first stang. A 1989 gt 5 speed. . . it needs some tender loving care, and is not my everyday driver. However I have some questions:

Is there anything that is particularly flawwed about the 89's with the 302 or 5 spd?

What should I look for in this stang (I'm probably buying it tomarrow aug 4th) such as new head gaskets and what not.

Is there anything special about the 89 that stands out compared to the same generation models like 93 or 87?

Thanks a lot guys; sorry about so many questions especially from a noob like me, but I just want to make sure I'm not getting a dud year or anything.

zlliksddam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 09:26 PM   #2
drtbiker
Registered Member

you want to buy mine? You just have to worry about rear main seals that go bad, t-5s are not all that strong.... check the hatch to see if it is rusting. Look at a few before you just go and buy one

lata
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 10:31 PM   #3
zlliksddam
Registered Member

buying yours is a possibility how much/mods/pics/price/history?
Old 08-03-2003, 11:32 PM   #4
drtbiker
Registered Member

pic is right next to my name mods is right under my post in my sig email me drtbikeril@yahoo.com and we'll talk
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE

Old 08-04-2003, 08:41 PM   #5
zlliksddam
Registered Member

nevermind mang,

I appreciate the offer but I bought the fiveoh, price was right and it's just a toy. You're running 13s and it probably is worth more than I am willing to part with for now, thanks though

-Matt
Old 08-04-2003, 09:37 PM   #6
drtbiker
Registered Member

how much did you end up paying for it

SOME ADVICE

Old 08-04-2003, 10:22 PM   #7
Mountain Main
Registered Member

Default Last Time I looked

89's t-5 aren't as strong as later year t-5's I still think a t-5 is better than an AOD. I had two AOD's go out before 60,000 miles on my car.

Mountain Main
Mountain Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 01:10 AM   #8
zlliksddam
Registered Member

i paid 1200 for it. runs strong, came with new clutch in box and everything cuz the one in it is about to go. New frt brakes rotors and pads, just had an oil change coolent change, ac is cold and converted to newer stuff. . . i love it. The only things wrong with it are

1.rust on hatch lid; but my best friend has a garage my car could live in if i choose. We plan on grinding away all rust and using fiberglass/bondo to get it looking good again. He had an LSC and we did the body on that and just dropped by maaycoto get it sprayed.

2.The gt moldings around the car are pretty shot, warping, rusted clips whatever the case; i saw a cobra kit for 400 bucks online that looked as good if not better so i may consider that.

3. the brights are burnt out :-D (im really reaching here)

4. passenger side switch for pwr windows/locks doesnt work probably need to go salvage another switch off of somewhere.

5.outside pass. door release has a broken handle. . . half of it, like it broke inside so you have to open it from the left side of the handle. . . it is hard to explain but i think you all know what im talking about my best friend's LSC had the same problem with the same style door handles.

thats about it, it runs great shifts solid, all i need to do is jack it up change trans/diff fluids and an oil change for good luck and then change that clutch (which i already have, it's late i dont knwo if i mentioned it already) and i'll be good to go.

This is my first stang and i'm in love already :-)

PS Anyone in the chicagoland area have meets or anything? I'd like to join you guys adn talk about our rides, let me know, THanks