MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2002, 02:15 PM   #1
Beanhead
Registered Member

Talking Hi! Newbiew w/ a 5.0 flywheel clutch question!

Hi Everyone!

I found this board when I was researching clutches. There's a really good "how to article here", and well, that's what led me here..

Anyhow, I just installed a new Spec Stage 1 clutch, had my flywheel resurfaced, replaced the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and rear oil seal around the crank. All bolts are also torqued appropriately.

Anyhow, upon putting everything back together, I found that my clutch pedal now travels about an inch or so before it encounters any resistance. Before, I'd feel resistance right from the start, with just about no travel.

So, I started her up, pedal down (clutch engaged), and it made this horrible WHUP WHUP WHUP noise, and shook the car, almost as if something was out of balance. But, I know that my flywheel can only be mounted one way (6 bolts) right? And Spec tells me that their pressure plates are zero balanced, so I have no idea what's going on here!!!

I immediately shut her down. I did not let up on the clutch pedal to see what would happen because she's parked on a homemade lift, and I couldn't take the chance of it engaging for some reason, and well, I think you know the rest...

Basically, I wanted to be sure that on the '94 5.0's, the stock flywheel can only be mounted in one manner. Is this so?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance, and I hope to meet you sometime!!!

Joe