View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Old Man
Registered Member

Default Re: High ide, red headders.......HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake95 View Post
Idle problem:
I recently ran 50/50 mix of Chevron 100 no lead and 91 grade fuel, this is the second time I did this with the car really running great. Read on…
The TPS is getting a 5 volt signal no matter how I position it on the throttle body ( I have an adjustment plate ) or even when I unplug it and take a direct reading from the connector. The idle air control vale checks in limits with 9 ohms reading. No engine check light.
My engine is idling at 14-1500 all the time, when first started there is a low moan that may be coming from the air pump (hard to tell with all the crap under the hood). I also noticed my headers starting to get red, I am afraid to take it anywhere because of his problem and I don’t trust a lot of the locals with the car. I have done most of the modifications myself and it has performed flawless, I would like to keep it that way…….
Help……any suggestions ???

1995 5.0 GT, 5 speed, Cobra R intake, 70mm body, Vortec SQ kit, MSD-6, coil, Ceramic shorties, Flo- Masters, 2.5 exhaust system, pulleys, the usual suspension mods. 65,000+ miles

Red hedders are a sign of a very lean mixture. It can also be grossly retarded timing with much of the mixture burning in the hedder instead of the cylinders, but that usually means a poor idle.

High uncontrolled idle is often a sign of a vacuum leak, which will also make a lean idle.

My bet is, since you have both high idle and hot exhaust at idle, that you have a vacuum leak. Could be something else, but that is what to check first.

TOM
Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote