Thread: Air Intake
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2002, 04:49 PM   #9
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Originally posted by 50DAVIDLX

I have a K&N air filter - not the fenderwell one but the other one. Is there any thing I can do to it to make it breathe better to get more HP. like take anything out? and is it worth doing?

The fenderwell K&N setup is only worth about 2 -3 HP over the stock panel filter so you're not losing much without it.

Make certain the fenderwell air silencer has been removed - that's basic and worth almost 4 HP just by removing the stupid thing.

I have a metal intake tube (MAF to TB) that smooths out airflow better than the rubber factory tube. It's from a company called 'Tiny Avenger' in CA and runs $70. for a black painted tube. Worth about 2 HP.

Air velocity is important to better performance and the K&N and a smoother airflow aid that. Even so; with a fenderwell cold-air set-up, aftermarket intake tube and the factory air silencer removed you'll gain around 8-10 HP, max. Half of that is from removing the factory air silencer. Not bad, but nothing spectacular, either, so don't expect miracles from these mods, although they're worth doing. I did.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote