MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-08-2002, 11:26 PM   #1
Beavis
Registered Member

Default Air Intake

Is there any better air intake then the BBK Cold Air? & also, whats the diff between fenderwell mount & the long one (which one should i get?)

89 GT 5.0- wrecked on 7/03
3.08 gears, Saleen Suspension, MSD Ignition, Underdrive pulleys, Flowmaster force II Cat-Back exhuast, Flex-a-Lite Black Magic Elec. Fan.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 11:34 PM   #2
89hatchbackGT
Registered Member

The fenderwell mount gets cooler air than the under-hood one which gets hot engine compartment air. The one I got is the MAC fenderwell kit. I can feel a little more performance with it especially at top end, and it adds a little more growl to your exaust sound. I'd recommend the fender mount.
I like an escalator because an escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There'd never be an escalator out of order sign, only escalator temporarily stairs-sorry for the inconvenience sign.

--Mitch Hedberg
89hatchbackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 01:04 AM   #3
Blue GT 5.0
Registered Member

Thumbs up BBK

I've heard some complaints about MAC's products so I'd go with the BBK fender well kit.
Blue GT 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 01:07 AM   #4
Barrfight
Registered Member

Default C & L Mass Air

i believe there is a fenderwell mounted cold air kit included with 76 and 73mm mass air kits sold by C & L. so if you want to go with a new mass air meter too, you could kill two birds with one stone, and yeah, fenderwell is better than the engine compartment filter.

HOOAH!

Red 1991 LX 5.0 Hatchback
BBK Headers
2 Chamber Flowmasters
2 1/2 in. exhaust
Underdrives
1.7 roller rockers
ported stock intake and heads
3.73 gears
Barrfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 02:41 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Cold Air intakes

Fenderwell cold-air intakes are better and along with those already mentioned, Moroso makes a nice kit for just under $100. It has a black plastic intake tube instead of chrome, if that's a factor. I have one. Comes with a K&N cone filter.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 10:57 PM   #6
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I got the BBK fenderwell for my GT and actually noticed a bigger difference when i replaced the stock MAF housing with a Vortech C&L meter housing (73mm) (without the cast aluminum intake tube because the cold air kit already had one). The cold air intake wasn't any louder than stock because stock i had a K&N panel with no air silences, but when i changed Mass air flow meter housings i could hear a LARGE difference in noise level. My car also pulled quite a bit better on the top end.

- The Cold air intake mounts kind of funny to the throttle body, but it can be done (my Edelbrock/BBK throttle body has a very slippery intake tract sealing surface) so it's kind of a challenge getting the clamps to clamp properly. but it's a good quality product as well as the MAF housing.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 12:15 AM   #7
chris91LX
Registered Member

Fenderwell mount is the only way to go in my opinion. I originally bought the BBK fenderwell unit and sent it back because it fit like crap. I then bought the Mac fenderwell kit and it fit like a glove and worked great. I bought the C&L 76mm maf with the air tube elbow (which only goes from the maf to the tb and not from the fender to the maf) and the Mac kit wouldn't work with it. The mac kit's tubes fit perfect with my 73mm maf but were too small for the 76mm maf and didn't work with the C&L air tube either. I've heard I can use the Moroso or the K&N kit with the C&L maf and air tube though, so I just went back to the factory airbox until I can get one of those. If you are going to go with a 76mm maf and 70mm tb like i did I think the mac and bbk may be too small, the pipes seemed way more restrictive than they were on the 73mm maf and 65mm tb.
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 01:32 AM   #8
50DAVIDLX

I have a K&N air filter not the fender wall one but the other one. Is there any thing i can do to it to make it breathe better to get more HP. like take anything out? and is it worth doing?

thanks for any help.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:49 PM   #9
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Originally posted by 50DAVIDLX

I have a K&N air filter - not the fenderwell one but the other one. Is there any thing I can do to it to make it breathe better to get more HP. like take anything out? and is it worth doing?

The fenderwell K&N setup is only worth about 2 -3 HP over the stock panel filter so you're not losing much without it.

Make certain the fenderwell air silencer has been removed - that's basic and worth almost 4 HP just by removing the stupid thing.

I have a metal intake tube (MAF to TB) that smooths out airflow better than the rubber factory tube. It's from a company called 'Tiny Avenger' in CA and runs $70. for a black painted tube. Worth about 2 HP.

Air velocity is important to better performance and the K&N and a smoother airflow aid that. Even so; with a fenderwell cold-air set-up, aftermarket intake tube and the factory air silencer removed you'll gain around 8-10 HP, max. Half of that is from removing the factory air silencer. Not bad, but nothing spectacular, either, so don't expect miracles from these mods, although they're worth doing. I did.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 05:47 PM   #10
theforce
Registered Member

Smile Ram Air

In the old days, late 80's early 90's, cold air or ram air kits didn't exist yet for 5.0's. We made our own stuff. On GT's with the fog lamps we would remove the fog lamp and brackets. Also we would grind any excess plastic around the inner hole so a 6" dryer or vent range hose (purchased at Home Depot or hareware store this is a metal bendable hose) would fit over the inner lip of the mold of the fog lamp. The hose would fit inside from the underside of the car. We removed the silencer and cut the hole in the fender 6" to fit the new size hose. Imagine how much air a 6"diameter hose can suck up a 50MPH. If you don't know, stick your hand out the window while doing 50MPH. Then put a K&N filter in the stock box. The cost of the kit was less than $10 without counting the K&N. If you wanted more filter area we would custom order a 14" long cone filter (K&N of course) and have some round sheet metal (shield) around the filter to keep the air charge contained and the fan from blowing hot air into the filter (and MAF). My car (90 GT 3450lbs. fully loaded almost brand new) with this home made ram air, 3:73's, 8X26" Goodyears and stock exhaust with cats from the factory ran 13.78. Later bolting on pulleys, Southsides, MAF, Richmond 5 speed (this was for strength rolling mass probably slowed car), B303 and shoty belt The car ran best 13.37@102.9. All stock internals except cam.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:04 AM   #11
Beavis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0
I have a metal intake tube (MAF to TB) that smooths out airflow better than the rubber factory tube. It's from a company called 'Tiny Avenger' in CA and runs $70. for a black painted tube. Worth about 2 HP.

whats the # for that company in CA? I live in CA too...might take a look at it soon.

3.08 gears, Saleen Suspension, MSD Ignition, Underdrive pulleys, Flowmaster force II Cat-Back exhuast, Flex-a-Lite Black Magic Elec. Fan.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:31 AM   #12
50DAVIDLX

beavis ware in ca do you live? i live in rocklin sacramento.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:41 AM   #13
Beavis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 50DAVIDLX
beavis ware in ca do you live? i live in rocklin sacramento.
berkeley california...near S.F

lets see...so far i've heard BBK, MAC, and C & L ...i found the BBK and the MAC, but not the C&L....is there a website? or which of the 2 (mac and bbk) should i get?

Old 03-12-2002, 01:59 AM   #14
50DAVIDLX

i would bbk. i have heard lots of people that love thiers. but get what you want