MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-28-2001, 05:34 PM   #1
goduke
Registered Member

Post Help!!1Nasty Driveline vibrations above 2800 rpms

I am not sure if my signature is up to date but my car is a 93 5.0 5 speed.

Please help me figure out what i did to my car. Last night i had 3 other people in the car with me and a did a nice burnout in first from a red light and hit second gear pretty good, i then cruised at a normal pace. About three miles later i slowed down and down shifted to 3rd to make a left and turn. When i let out the clutch my shifter started to vibrate pretty good. I then shifted to 4th and i could still feel a small vibration in the shifter. I thought that i could here a slight humming noise when i down shifted to 3rd also, but i really wasnt sure. I shifted to 5th and continued to cruise at about 55-60 mph, with a slight vibration in the shifter. I went up a hill and had to down shift to fourth gear and i did not notice any thing. At top of the long hill i had to stop at a stop sign behind traffic. When i pulled out i was easy on it and shift at about 2000 rpms. I noticed nothing rest of the 20 minute ride home.

Today i took the car out for a 15 minute ride. I got on it hard a couple times, shifting at about 4500 to 5000 through the first 3 gears. I noticed nothing. I even did a second gear burnout off of snow that had blown accross the road.

This afternoon i took my car to the car wash. When i was on my way home i came around a corner to a straight stretch. I got on it in third and as soon as the rpms got to about 2800 rpms i heard a load humming/vibrating noise and the shifter started to vibrate again. I pushed in the clutch and after a few seconds the vibration went away. I then came to a stop sign. I made a left turn and when the rpms got to about 2800 it started to vibrate again, i shifted to 2nd and the vibration was still there. I pushed and held in the clutch, the vibration went away again. I made a left onto my road and excelerated in 2nd and it started to vibrate again at about 2800. I got to my house and looked under the car and noticed nothing out of place and no dripping fluid. I took the car for a test drive and it still vibrated at 2800. I thought it was the transmition or clutch so i revved the engine while in neutral and at 2800 it started to vibrate/humm again, i could still fell the vibration in the shifter.

What could be the cause of my problem. I have no idea if it is the engine, transmition, or clutch. The car has 117,000 miles, everything is stock. I have owned the car since august and 109,000 miles, the car has not been to the track since october. When i bought the car the guys said the clutch was pretty new, less then 20,000 miles on it now. I have been hard on the clutch because i have never driven a stick before i got the car. Thank you for all of your help. I am going to go make sure that it has all the fluids that it needs.

------------------
91 LX stock 4 banger
Panasonic Head Deck
Pioneer 4 way 6x9's, 600 x 1 amp
3 12" JL Audio W0
goduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 08:55 PM   #2
smithbling
Registered Member

Here is a crazy thought.

Something similar happened to my car @ 2000 rpm and up. However, it quickly escalated.

I had my waterpump replaced and the bearings around the shaft that holds the fan in place had play. This caused a psycho vibration.

Just a shot in the dark! Good Luck.
smithbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 12:54 AM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Okay, well, since the vibration quit when you pushed in the clutch, and it still vibrates in neutral, I think you can eliminate any gear damage to your tranny, your flywheel, pressure plate and your driveshaft.

What you can include is your input shaft, your clutch disc, and your throwout bearing.

My best guess is that a piece of your clutch disc is shredded, which is throwing it out of balance, kinda like a tire that is missing a wheel weight. I just can't see the throwout bearing doing that, and I'd like to believe your input shaft is still good, although it would also be likely to cause the problem.

If I were you, like smithbling says. Check out the front of the motor, just in case. It's wishful thinking, but why not? It'll only take a minute to pull the belt off. When you do, just run it up real quick to the 2800 or so, and if the vibration is gone, put the belt back on, if it's back, your problem is up front.

It that proceedure doesn't help, you know you've got bigger problems, most likely the clutch or your input shaft.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by Unit 5302 (edited 01-29-2001).]
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote