MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-28-2002, 05:14 PM   #1
Fox Hound
Registered Member

Default Holley Systemax II kit, what else will I need...

I was thinking about getting the kit from Holley and was wondering what else would I need to install it on a bone stock 5.0L? Do I need bigger injectors, bigger mass air and throttle body, new fuel pump, headers just to name a few? What else?

Or, should I just go to a Vortech S blower and keep everything else stock? Looks like the price would be about the same. All I want is a decent 300+ HP motor...

Any other choices?
Fox Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 06:28 PM   #2
DRASTiK
Registered Member

well if you got the Systemax II package, you'd need injectors, MAF and TB/EGR to make the power. Plus you'd want to get an adjustable FPR and gauge, etc.
As far as the blower option goes, I dunno squat about superchargers. Sorry

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 07:55 PM   #3
91GTturbo
Registered Member

If your only going to run 6lbs of boost and want about 300 hp, you could just get away with just the injectors and a fuel pump going supercharged.

With the Holley kit, I would just add a fuel pump. I've seen stock 19lb injectors run 11.90's in the 1/4. If all your after is 300 hp, I would stay NA, that way you don't have to worry about belts.

The larger injectors, mass air, TB, headers, and an h-pipe would really wake both combinations up though. You didn't say whether you were after 300 rwhp or fwhp. With either combo you want have a problem reaching the 300 fwhp mark. The Holley kit would probably make more hp than just 6lbs of boost though.
Old 03-01-2002, 01:16 AM   #4
Shogun
Registered Member

Thumbs up Go with the systemax

The holly kit is really a good one. Also a very good place to start on your quest to 300hp. Remeber, that an engine is nothing more than a sofisticated air pump and the more you can stuff in and get out the more power you can make. The blower is a good choice, however with any blown application you will have to maintain a tight tune on your car at all times. and all it takes is one time under boost in a lean air/fuel condition, you might melt your slugs or worse detonate, in which case bye-bye motor. If you go with the blower get a kit that come with an intercooler their more work but worth it for performance and reliability. but I 'd still go with the systemax that will give a solid foundation to work with for later upgrades.
Proud RHC member #99
1990 Mustang GT Trick Flow heads,F303,Mac cold air,FMS 65mm tb,73mm ma,FMS 1.6,GT-40 intake,MSD igintion,NOS Big Shot@150,Mac equal shorties,Mac h-pipe,American Thunder flows,Centerforce dual friction,TTC 3550,alm drive shaft, 3.73's, HPM subframes, k-member brace, strut tower brace.. amongst others.
Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 12:11 PM   #5
Fox Hound
Registered Member

I think I like the idea of staying N/A.... Like it was said, the Holley kit is a good place to start but it is only a start. I guess I still need a few more $$$$ for the other miscellaneous parts. I haven't even thought about labor costs yet... Do I trust myself to do this install or have someone else do it???!?!?!?
Fox Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 02:59 PM   #6
DRASTiK
Registered Member

When it comes to the installation of heads, cam and intake. If you've never done it before, and you want to do it yourself, I'd STRONGLY suggest that you have someone there with you to show you how to do it. There are many little things that can easily be done incorrectly with lack of experience. I'm not trying to tell you to pay someone to do it, but if you don't know anyone with this knowledge that can help you out, then you may be in for some labor charges. It's really up to you. What kind of a tool surplus do you have?
Old 03-01-2002, 02:59 PM   #7
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Default oops

sorry..... double post
Old 03-01-2002, 05:41 PM   #8
Shogun
Registered Member

Default holly install

Yea, good call DR, if you have never performed such an undertaking, it would be a real good idea to have someone there to help with the more difficult parts of the installation such as cam timing and stuff.
Proud RHC member #99
1990 Mustang GT Trick Flow heads,F303,Mac cold air,FMS 65mm tb,73mm ma,FMS 1.6,GT-40 intake,MSD igintion,NOS Big Shot@150,Mac equal shorties,Mac h-pipe,American Thunder flows,Centerforce dual friction,TTC 3550,alm drive shaft, 3.73's, HPM subframes, k-member brace, strut tower brace.. amongst others.
Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 09:16 PM   #9
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

The Holley kit comes with a "you need list"
From what I can remember it goes something like this.
24 or 30 pph injectors, 65mm tbody,190fuel pump,75mm air meter or bigger, 1.6or(I have 1.7)rr, gaskets. Thats all I can think of. I put my kit on at 100k miles after a compression test said good and got 303hp/307tq to the rear wheels here in Fla in warm weather. Be careful with their heads though. I recently found out that they need valve guides with less than 1k miles and the warranty was up 2 months before I found out it was the heads. Holley said sooo sad- tooo bad. My next heads will be street heat. Good luck

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Procharged & intercooled DSS 331 LC
Holley Systemax 2 Intake, Edelbrock RPM Heads,E 303 ,blow thru air meter, race bypass, 42 pph injectors,65mm tb,1.7 rr, Mac long tube headers w/off road H pipe, Force 2 catback, TKO,Pro 5.0, K&N, Alum DS,3 core radiator, subframe connectors,3.73`s, Nitto DR`s and a Heavy Foot.
Dave_mustang_50 is offline   Reply With Quote