View Single Post
Old 12-05-2001, 05:09 PM   #5
shovelnose
Registered Member

I am about to do my third air induction system. All have been done with scoups from the wreckers(82 stangs) and cutting a hole in the hood.

The first was open fresh air. The second was sealed ram air. My third will be sealed cowl.

The ram air is great but make sure you use vac. secondaries as the mech pop open to fast and cause the car to lean out and bog.

To get a centre point on your hood. Put a longer piece of ready rod in the carb and sit the hood on it. It will dent the hood in the centre. Then use a large compass to trace the desired circle. Cut the hole using a jig saw or air nibbler. I used a Ford BB air cleaner bottom(about 20" dia) and a 14" air cleaner top. The dual snorkel air cleaner works too. I sealed the fac. openings on the bottom plate.

Get some door rubber seals for sealing material and light gauge sheet metal for the top part of the seal. Close the hood with the bottom plate/rubber in place. Curl the sheet metal and insert with rubber through the top till it butts up with the bottom plate. Tach weld around the sheet metal, cut flush put scoup on and voila ram air.

Hope this helps.
shovelnose is offline   Reply With Quote