MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
SFR292
Registered Member

Default Hot Start

On my 91 LX I've been having a hot start problem. Starts fine when it's cold, once it's 140 degrees, and I mean exactly 140 or hotter it will not start, as soon as the coolant temp drops below 140 it will start just fine. Fuel pressure holds at 34psi while starting/idleing. I'm running Autolite 24'(cold due to the nitrous) I put 27's in it to see if it helped, it did not. I replaced the TFI, both inner and outter units. I am running a mini starter, its cranking fine just wont fire when hot, however I do not know what the amp draw is when it's hot. The battery is in the trunk, however it's grounded both in to the rear frame section and all the way up front to the block. I have a friend with a 93 Cobra that is having the exact same problem, I replaced both ECT sensors on his and it didn't fix it, along with a new started and still didn't fix it. My car runs like a raped ape when it's running. I'm running a werid nitrous setup, two solinoids with a vaccum modulator between them that when nitrous is flowing through them it pulls the fuel regulator wide open and the injectors(24lbs) get full 60psi. I'm using a CompUcar wet nozzle with a blind nozzle in the wet side. I like their nozzles and they're local and they'll make me a custom "pill" when I need one. I'm running a 84 jet. anyway the point is the last trip to the track it pissed me off when it wouldn't start so I sprayed it a split second before I turned the key and it fired right up. Is there a IAT sensor somewhere in one of the intake runners? I don't know a whole lot about mustangs, I got this from a friend of mine, I just drive the piss out of it.
Anyone have any ideas?
SFR292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
goodyear1984
Registered Member

Default Re: Hot Start

hey, well if it cranks fine when it wont start then u just have to find out if its fuel or spark,u just have to elimnate 1 thing at a time.u said u replaced the module.so just get the motor hot and see if its sparking when it wont start
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
SFR292
Registered Member

Default Re: Hot Start

Hey, sorry for the long reply time,
Yes, it does have both fuel and spark, the spark is a little weak, it's red/orange rather than blue. I have the transmission out of the car right now, when I removed the bellhousing I noticed the ground strap from the back off the head to the firewall has completely come loose so maybe thats my problem, however I thought haing solid motor mounts might have grounded he engine enough themselfs to negate that issue, dunno, we'll see what happens when I get it back together in the next few days.
FYI if anyone has any issues with their manual trans call D&D performance, those guys are awesome and a wealth of knowledge!
SFR292 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: