MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-18-2002, 10:09 PM   #1
Big Bopper
Registered Member

Question Car won't start?

I can't get my Stang to fire ..... I'm hearing the fuel pump and fuel pump relay,I'm getting spark. I pulled a plug out and it had a little bit of fuel on it,you could see it and smell it a little.I had some grounding problems and wondered if maybe I did some damage to my computer? Is that possible? I put a new; battery,cap,rotor,plugs,leads,fuel filter,removed and flushed the fuel tank,fuel lines,brand spanking new starter,new flywheel ring gear,all new gaskets...ect...
When I try to start it I have to take the lead from the starter and touch the batt(+) because I fried my relay(it clicks but no pwr to starter post) Am I doing something horribly wrong by doing this? After it turns over a few times (3-5 secs.) I can faintly smell fuel...and sometimes, as I stop turning it over it sounds like it fires,but not like it WILL start. I marked my timing so I know that OK....I'm totally stumped.....I'm close to having it towed to the shop

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:35 PM   #2
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

man, that sounds frustrating, my friend just recently hooked his battery up backwards on accident, trunk mounted (not saying you did) but it fried some wires in his harness, and his regulator, he actually had to replace his msd, solenoid, and all kinds of stuff before he got it to crank, and just recently it broke down on him for no reason we know of, (its carb'd) but we are thinking he really fried something in the harness, which can be done especially on efi cars, sorry i really cant help, but just stay at it, and get multimeter in hand.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 08:14 AM   #3
PKRWUD

Replace the solenoid first. Then inspect the fusible links attached to it. If you find one that feels soft, replace it. Still, do the solenoid first. You don't want to screw something else up, right? Do it right.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 04:29 PM   #4
Big Bopper
Registered Member

Just came back from the parts store with a new starter relay,man things are more money in Canada!, or it could be the parts place...$45.00 !!! Would that explain it not wanting to flash up not having a good starter relay? What I'm doing is turning the ignition on and putting the starter cable directly to the (+) on the battery,...Is that a bad thing to do?
Old 04-19-2002, 10:26 PM   #5
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default do you hear your fuel prime?

I know you said that you had some fuel on your plugs, but can you hear your fuel pump prime?
Since you've replaced your relay, I was just wondering because of the little post on the realy for the fuel pump could be causing a prob.
Just a swag.
One more thing, I know you did the rag thing for TDC, but you said the balancer indicated you were off.
Most balancers are "idiot proof" and only go on one way with a guide cast into them.
I would consider doing the TDC check again and seeing if it will line up with your timing marks.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 12:12 AM   #6
Import Slayer
Registered Member

im having starting trouble too the starter stays engaged too long, where is secheld in BC?

89 5 speed LX 5.0 - off road h pipe, B&M short throw, 13* timing, blue bottle glasspacks, removed air silencer, accel super stock 8mm, bosch platinum 4's, no times
Import Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 07:16 AM   #7
The Jester
Registered Member

Thumbs down Cant wait for canadian tire to open....

Hey Bopper,

Geez, 45 bucks, thats crazy.. i hate these small town auto parts stores up here... I cant wait till canadian tire, that would have been a $12 part.. ****, you should pull your usual deal and re wrap it and take it back, $5 worth of gas and we could have gotten you one at andys house.. Ford parts everywhere...

Im competely stumped, Btw Hozer..Pump is primeing..
Darn car doesnt want to run.

Later Dood, its 4:20 tommorow!!!!!
The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 08:58 PM   #8
gtsr515
Registered Member

Its electrical thats for sure, are all grounds right?, how about firing order, TFI module?, fuel pump relay?, replace the starter solienoid?, battery grounds, etc.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:38 AM   #9
Big Bopper
Registered Member

Talking Moron Alert!

Hey thanks Guys for all your help and Ideas! I'm kinda embarassed to say but ......I had my distibutor in 180 deg. out I guess that mark I put on there can go 2 ways
No wonder the marks on the balancer did'nt line up

It's like you get tunnel vision when your stuck on one problem LOL. I thought it was electrical !!!!

Thanks again everyone
Old 04-22-2002, 06:14 AM   #10
PKRWUD

If it was 180 degrees off, the marks on the balancer would still line up perfectly. The balancer rotates two full times for every one rotation of the distributor. Double check your marks, and verify that you are identifying the correct cylinder as the #1 cyl.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote