MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-25-2002, 12:28 AM   #1
90LxDroptop
Registered Member

Default How can I go faster while looking/sounding stock?

Heyoooo everyone. Well I want to go faster while looking and sounding BONE STOCK. Right now I have everything in the sig. And I ordered my STALLION converter a few days ago so that should be comming in shortly!!! (I also got a Tranny cooler to go with that, B&M super cooler)Well anyways...any ideas? I was thinking of removing my A/C.(probably go with the march kit unless some1 else suggests somethign else) Relocating my Battery. MAYBE take out the backseat...although that kinda defeats the purpose of this...I'm still a little shaky on that one. Anything else I can do? I was thinking some suspension mods...but which ones?!?!? Sorry so long guys. THANX!!!

-Suave

O and one more thing. I don't really want to invest in any Drag radials. I had some but sold them because I didn't want to keep switching them on and off every weekend. and I didn't want to buy wheels for them. But ANY other suggestions would be nice! Thanx!
Old 07-25-2002, 02:33 AM   #2
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Slap on some heads and a decent cam/intake. Hell, you could even keep the stock intake!
Old 07-25-2002, 09:21 AM   #3
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

if you wanted to look stock this is what i would do.

trick flow heads- (painted black, so they look stock)
stock cam w/1.72 roller rockers
shorty headers(brand of choice)
4.10 gear(better w/aod-pia on the highway though)
stock intake(cut and ported, or extrude honed)

AS FOR SUSPENSION..........

90/10 STRUTS
EIBACH DRAG LAUNCH KIT (W/AIR BAG)
SSM LIFT BARS
BOXED UPPERS
REAR ANTI SWAY BAR
TUBULAR K-MEMBER
PANHARD BAR

I had this same setup on an 89lx i had with a 4.10 gear, heads, cam, intake, rockers, tremec, longtubes........ (i think you get the idea) basically every bolt on. and it hooked on a street tire, with no vht, first gear would spin, but you could pound second and it would dead hook. good luck

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 09:41 AM   #4
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

I'm in the same boat, I love the idea of a sleeper. The real problem I have encountered is that I can never find quiet enough exhaust so that it sounds stock. With my 83 its all done, the word is out in my town and I can't get a race with most of the locals cause they already know if they have a faster car or I do. I guess thats the problem with racing in your town, you ru8n out of people to race.

Sgarzi's Machine Works
Phantom5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 09:57 AM   #5
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

Get a nitrous kit and hide the bottle???

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 10:00 AM   #6
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

DYNOMAX ULTRA FLOW MUFFLERS-they are really quiet

Old 07-25-2002, 10:26 AM   #7
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

Quieter than the Super Turbo mufflers?

Sgarzi's Machine Works
Old 07-25-2002, 10:48 AM   #8
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Ultraflo said get nitrous and hide the bottle. Heck you dont even have to do that. Anyone ever seen these new subwoofer they have out now. Looks like a NOS bottle but it has an 8" woofer in it. The nitrous line coming out of the valve is the power wire. Kinda cool i thought. Just pull the NOS sticker off and tell people its a sub woofer. It could work (until someone asks to here the system right)
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 12:35 PM   #9
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

my buddy has a 90gt with canfield heads, holley intake, long tubes, off road h pipe, the thing sounds like its stock even when he gets on it. suprised the &h!t outta me

Old 07-25-2002, 12:52 PM   #10
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

wow, what does he have for mufflers?

Sgarzi's Machine Works
Old 07-25-2002, 12:54 PM   #11
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

DYNOMAX ULTRA FLOW

Old 07-25-2002, 01:18 PM   #12
briand
Registered Member

if i were you man i would just ditch the idea of a sleeper and fix the car how you want it, if you want it quiet and like it quiet that's good, then go for quiet, but don't fix your car up a way you don't want it, just because you want someone to think it is stock. the days of mustang sleepers is over. all these other guys with other types of street cars, know what mustangs are and think of it as a top dog. i seen "stock type cars" run from mid 15's to 10's so when i get next to a mustang that looks and sounds stock it wouldn't surprise me the least bit if it ran 10's, with all the hidden nitrous systems, strokers, and so on. its a very common thing. now if you had a 10 sec civic or something like that, then i would say that is a sleeper, but mustangs i don't believe fit that description no more. to put it shortly i would rather have a mustang that kicked butt, than have a mustang that gets beat by civics just because you have the restriction of having to look stock. well sn95gt19 that is my opinion and i don't mean any disrespect, i just want you happy with the end result. take it easy man
GT-40X heads(58cc), Cobra upper and lower, 75 mm Bullet, Moroso fenderwell induction, FRPP 65mm TB, 24# injectors, black magic electric fan, phenolic spacer, 1.7 crane cobra roller rockers, crane 2031, BBK 1 5/8 equal length hearders, 2.5 inch off road pipe, 2.5 flowmaster catback, FMS 3.55 gears, T5-Z transmission, FRPP aluminum driveshaft, svo heavy duty clutch, mcleod bullet proff bellhousing, BBK adjustable cluth quadrant, hurst billet shifter, lakewood subframes, BBK strut tower brace, BBK 2pt lower cross bar, FMS 190 lph fuel pump, crane ps91 coil, FMS street pulleys, and 300+ race wires. All thanks goes to my wife sheri, jason, jeff, robby, my dad and all others you helped contribute. most importantly GOD!!!
briand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 01:25 PM   #13
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

i started by making my car a sleeper, i made it look like a 4.6gt, but then i kinda gave that up cause now its a 98 cobra clone, everthing except the brakes(have the frnt cover, rear cover, rims, r hood, ect...) thats true that you should make the car how you want it. but the one thing is that if you want to make it a sleeper, keep the stock cam, and make it quiet. for some reason around my house everyone thinks if your car is loud its fast(thats why im getting ultra flows lol)

Old 07-25-2002, 01:26 PM   #14
HORSEMEN RACING
Registered Member

Thumbs up Looking Stock

Looking stock is not hard at all,sounding stock and going fast is another ball of wax,but it can be done with attention to detail.

If it was me and I wanted to sound and look stock I would locate a set of stock mufflers first of all,the sound of those are good but they are quiet mufflers.

Second and it probably cost a good amount but if you do not have to open your hood before a race put a turbo on it,nothing beats the power of a turbo it is big power,and torque but it takes a lot of detail to make one work right,but it can be done. And the stock cam is a good matchup with the turbo,you will need a good set of heads though ported stock heads would be the ultimate stealth strike.

If you do not want a turbo like it was said get a nitrous kit and just do not go around showing how cool it looks to purge just purge when a run is on the line,by then it is to late to back out of the run.

Rims if you get any hard biting tire make sure if it has raised white letters you mount them on the inside.

"there are 5,000 Army troops sitting on their butts doing nothing,while 2 companies of Marines are securing this island" spoken by a Army General on the Isle of Grenada in 1983
HORSEMEN RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 02:21 PM   #15
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

Thumbs up UltraFlo Mufflers

I can attest to the quiet power of the UltraFlo mufflers... I had a 2 1/2" cat back system as one of the first mods to my car and really like the sound they produce, unlike Flowmasters. I work at a muffler shop (family owned/operated) and have installed few hundred Flowmasters myself... not too many people around here run the UltraFlo muffler, so someone always commented on the sound of my 'stang compared to others when it was bolt-on car. I later put turn downs on and it still was relatively quiet at idle (for a car with turndowns)... but when you put your foot to the floor it sounds wicked!

I have 2 1/2 Magnaflow mufflers w/ turn downs now... the stainless versions are actually a step above the Ultraflo muffler in that they are a fully welded stainless muff compared the the stainless UltraFlo's rolled seams... They sound the same to me... The welded UltraFlo's are only available in aluminized, btw... and are quite a bit bigger (thicker, wider)

The Magnaflow cat back for the LX's (I've installed three systems so far) come with 3" tailpipes and that makes it a louder system overall, with a slighty more noticeable idle than the Dynomax cat back.... so if your going full system, I would actually recommend the UltraFlo system (for stealthy reasons, otherwise get Magnaflow)

.02 cents on the matter, or more

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 02:54 PM   #16
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

my old "stock" 87 hathc went 11.7's..it was b-303, heads, exhuat, geras and nitrous..stock intake, tb, mass air, injectors...toook alot of peoples $$$ with it

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 07:54 PM   #17
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World

I would disagree that the ultra flos are the "quietest" muffler out there.

i have the dynomax super turbo, and they are verry quiet, and my friend has the ultra flos, and his car is wayyuy loudef than mine. we bolth have headers/off road h pipes too.
1984 Bronco II, 36" Michelin Military Tires, 95 EFI 5.0, NP435 Tranny, NP208 Doubler, NP205 Transfer Case, Fill Size Solid Dana 44 Front End, WH Progressive Rate Rock Crawling Coils, Bronco 8.8 Rear, Skyjacker Softride Leafs, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Locker. Final Crawl Ratio Of 175:1

88 GT
Best 60ft. 2.181
Best ET 14.350
Best MPH 98.01
~WRECKED!!!!~
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 08:42 PM   #18
blackfang
Registered Member

I agree with the bottle. I am getting one for the Cobra soon.

2000 Z/28
Ram Air, EGR mod, Lid w/K&N, Flowtech cutout
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 08:52 PM   #19
Conman
Registered Member

I guess muffler sound is all personal taste
I have the super turbos as well and they are pretty quiet inside the car but from outside they get quite loud at full throttle

idle is pretty quiet but still have a nice performance rumble

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 04:06 PM   #20
91GTturbo
Registered Member

If you want to keep the sound stock or close and have performance, a turbo is the way to go. A friends car just made 491 rwhp and 536 ft/lbs of torque on the stock cam, TW heads, and a Trick Flow intake in 103* F heat. Car idles stock, sounds stock, but it sure don't run stock(6.98 at 102 in the 1/8th in the same heat and on ET streets). I'm hoping to be in the mid to low 400 rwhp range once I get my fuel system finished myself.

As far as the ultra flos, I run them because turbos hate chambered mufflers. My turbo and stock cam do keep them quite. Another friend has them on his heads and cam NA mustang and I think their almost as loud as 2 chamber flowmasters.