MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-02-2001, 12:00 AM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Post How can you tell if Fel-Pro gaskts were installed incorrectly? (hard ?)

I have a 69 351 that was stroked and blueprinted built by a local engine builder and I think he screwed up the install. of the head gaskets. My symptoms are a) It's brand new engine and when I park it on the hill front end down, rear end up, it pushes white smoke like a bastard for a few seconds at startup. b) I'm having legit cooling problems, and 3)I keep blowing thermostat gaskets. White smoke onstartup means water and oil right?
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 12:15 AM   #2
WADS56
gear banger

White smoke on start up(steam) is a good sign of a blown hwad gasket.
Do you have to add water to the cooling system after it runs for a while? If you are blowing thermostat gaskets... it sounds like you are building to much pressure in the cooling system and the head gasket is the first place I would look. You can rent a cooling system pressure checker from autozone to know for sure. It replaces the raidator cap and you can pump the system up with pressure. If it looses pressure there you go.

------------------
NA 347 W/ stage 2 Canfield heads, out of the box Victor 5.0 intake, solid roller cam, Aeromotive fuel system.
MY CAR http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1288
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 01:18 AM   #3
jimberg
Registered Member

Either the head gasket is on backwards or that hole in the block needs to be drilled out. You need to talk to the Trick Flow people.

Your thermostat is facing the right direction, correct?

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 08:17 AM   #4
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I think renting the rad. pressure tester is a good idea. I'll try that today. Also, I pulled the thermostat out before I made the short drive so that isn't an issue. This sucks if it is the head gasket. I've never removed any heads before and my engine builder takes FOREVER to do things. Do I have to pull the engine to replace the gaskets?? I didn't have to add water after it ran yesterday. I wonder if it has to do with the way I park on a decline?
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 08:33 AM   #5
Kevin Price
Registered Member

Itwouldnt surprise me if the head gaskets were on incorrectly but it doesn't sound like you are burning too much water. If a head gasket is on upside down the pattern will ALMOST appear to match, but not quite.

You might be able to pull some plugs to determine exactly what cylinders are burning the water.

In your 69 it wouldn't be a to hard to pull the heads. Before you do that I would pull the valve covers and try retorquing the heads first, especially with aluminum heads.

I tell ya, I just had my motor assembled and my head gaskets were put on upside down, the back of the block was not drilled and NO OIL was getting to my rockers and springs. I had water in my oil and, as a result, I had to send the thing back off, but not to this idiot. Keep in mind this is a VERY expensive motor

What I am saying is these "engine builders" do screw up so I wouldn't rule that out.

------------------
SVO siamesed 351 stroked to 417ci,Yates heads, solid roller,Trans King glide and a little blue bottle
of giggle gas. My Car

[This message has been edited by Kevin Price (edited 08-02-2001).]
Kevin Price is offline   Reply With Quote