MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-02-2002, 04:09 PM   #1
PKRWUD

Default How To Clear An Air Bag Code

I have received a few private emails asking me how to reset the Air Bag light after switching steering wheels, and wanted to post it for all. The procedure is simple, and goes like this:

1) Locate the connector below the glovebox, with a Black wire and a Tan wire with a Red tracer.
2) Turn the ignition on, and watch for a Code 52 to be flashed out.
3) After it has flashed out once, connect the two wires in the connector with a jumper (a paperclip works well) for 5 seconds.
4) The Air Bag Controller will then beep 5 times.
5) The code is now cleared out of the system.

This code will appear anytime the Air Bag fuse is blown or removed, or if the battery voltage falls below 8vdc.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 09:53 PM   #2
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Question

ok chris, when i wrecked,my left front tire blew out,i went straight into a gaurdrail ,it was just like a nascar wreck, my airbag's didnt deploy ,i was going 55 & hit head on & skidded down the gaurdrail ,can i sue crapyear & ford? that's my third blowout in a year it just happened to be a front tire this time,im getting rid of those pos gatorback's-they suck.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 10:43 PM   #3
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

my airbag didn't go off either when i hit that tree. Marty i definetly think you have a case against ford in the tire area but I'm not sure about the airbag but hey its worth a shot. When **** like that happens and safety equipment fails i think why the safety equipment doesn't work should be explained by the company. Hitting the wall at 55mph is damn fast and not having an airbag deploy could be the difference between serious injury and escaping with minor cuts and bruises and in worse case death. In this case we were lucky and marty was for the most part ok. I can understand why my airbag didn't go off. i probably missed the sensor since i more or less just grazed the tree. Plus my car is 12 years old so there was possible mechanical fialure. Marty i think you should definetly demand some answers from ford and goodyear and make them pay.

oh and when you actually make contact it sounds like it does in nascar to when they wreck. And marty you should at least make ford and goodyear aware of the problem incase it is another firestone situation and they are not yet aware of it

JAMES
Old 02-02-2002, 10:56 PM   #4
PKRWUD

The airbag issue is worth bringing up with someone at Ford. The tire issue isn't. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have aftermarket rims on the car, yes? If so, there went any chance of pinning something on Ford. It is not under their control when you start replacing factory installed equipment. As far as Good-Year, you would have to proove there was a defect with the tire, and not driver error, or road debris. Tough to proove.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 02-02-2002, 11:06 PM   #5
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

no they are the stock oo 17 inch wheel's, & the shi-- goodyears that came from the factory, yeah james it did sound like a nascar wreck , when they do the in-cam smack urrrrrscrapeing down the gauard rail, scary oh well i will worry about the car later, i got bigger problems on my mind right now, if it's totaled im going for a silver or yellow one this time

R H C- member # 1
Old 02-03-2002, 12:12 AM   #6
PKRWUD

I thought you had aftermarket rims on it, I'm sorry. I would contact NHTSA @ 1-888-327-4236, which is their Auto Safety Hotline, and tell them what your experiences have been. They will advise you on what is best.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 02-03-2002, 04:56 AM   #7
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Question

Kind of unrelated, but the same topic:
My best friend, Thad (member of this board) has a 91 LX and he gets the code from the airbag. How much does a new module go for, and what do ya have to do to install/reset it? Just curious!
Old 02-03-2002, 08:51 AM   #8
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

thanks chris for the # but i dont think i can blame this on the ford wheel's well i know what robert pressley hears every sunday hahaha

R H C- member # 1
Old 02-03-2002, 08:53 AM   #9
PKRWUD

Joe-
Print my first message in this thread and give it to your buddy. That should reset his code.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 03-27-2002, 11:32 AM   #10
5P0INT0
Registered Member

Angry

I guess all the fluid leaked out of my read diff and after a weekend of driving(was bringing it in on Monday to have the noise coming from the rear end checked out) my rear diff locked up on me. Seized. It happened after I had just made a left hand turn and was only going maybe 10mph. There was a loud bang and my car came to a very sudden stop. My airbags deployed. There was no squeal or screech or skid when my diff locked up. It was just a sudden stop. I didn't hit anything either. I heard the airbags shouldnt of gone off if I wasn't even in an accident....
94 AOD GT 4.10 gears and Auburn posi, 3000 stall with a shift kit. Lower control arms, subframe connecters, Under drive pullies, Procharger running 9lbs of boost, 24lb inj, custom chip, Saleen rims running 295 on the rear, Bassani X pipe and Cat back.
5P0INT0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 11:40 AM   #11
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Will that procedure work to clear out any air bag code? My airbag light is on (hopefully it means its BROKEN) and I'm sick of looking at it. BTW, is it legal to remove airbags?
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 02:29 PM   #12
PKRWUD

No. This procedure is only for an airbag code 52. If your air bag light is flashing every time you turn on the ignition, it's actually sending you a code, just like the MIL during KOEO self tests. Most people don't realize this, and just speak of the light flashing. Anyway, 90% of the time, it's a code 52. A code 52 means that the backup battery was needed. Translated, that means either the cars battery voltage dropped below 8 volts, or the fuse was blown or removed.

Yes, it is against the law to knowingly disable your air bag unless you do so with an approved switch that was installed either by the factory or a licensed tech.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 03-27-2002, 06:04 PM   #13
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

So...how do people that replace their stock wheel with a Grant get it inspected...or do they?
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 11:04 AM   #14
PKRWUD

That's a good question. It's against the law to install a steering wheel that is not air bag equipped into a vehicle that was originally sold with an air bag equipped steering wheel, if used on public roads. It is also against the law to sell a vehicle so equipped. To elaborate on my previous post, it is illegal to disable or remove the drivers side air bag, period. The passenger side air bag can be disabled with a factory installed, key activated switch, or by having a similar switch installed by a state approved tech. Since the federal govt. still overrules this area, state approved techs are pretty much only found at dealerships.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!