MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-11-2002, 08:36 PM   #1
Italianstanger
Registered Member

Lightbulb How to completely drain a 5.0's cooling system???

How do I completely drain all my coolant from my engine and radiator? I know how to do the radiator, but how do I drain from the engine? Are their allen bolts or something to loosen, where are they? Also, how many quarts/gallons will the cooling system hold? I want to do a 80% water/ 20% antifreeze, how many quarts/gallons of each do I need. Thanks.
Flowmaster 2 chambers
2 1/2 Tailpipes
3:73 Motorsport Gears
Subframe Connectors
Homemade Cold Air Induction
17X9 Cobra R Rims
Italianstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 11:18 AM   #2
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

On your passenger side, look for an allen plug in the block just below the no. 1 exhaust port... on the drivers side, look below the no. 8 exhaust port or about 45 degrees to the top right of where the dip stick enters the block.

One way to do this for a cleaner drain process is to ditch the allen plugs and get a couple drain bibs (petcock valve in a T fitting with a nipple to attach a hose to at the bottom of the T) so coolant doesn't go everywhere. This is what I've done as I have a history of changing block fuses, or head gaskets, as some people refer to them as

I'm not sure what a stock cooling system capacity is... if you have one of those Haynes manuals I believe it tells you. My guess would be 4-5 gallons.

I hate messing with antifreeze... Brake parts cleaner (the flammable version) does a good job of getting that ***** off the floor and the underside of your ride when it splashes all over the place, otherwise it leaves a sticky residue if you just wipe it up with a rag/paper towel.

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote