MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-23-2001, 12:14 PM   #1
Fox89GT
Registered Member

Post How do you take out the radio?

I want to replace my radio from my '89 fox body and can't figure out how to remove it. I read the Hayes manual and it said that special tools are requried for removal. What are the special tools? Anyone did this before? Whats the secret?
Fox89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 12:17 PM   #2
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

I took mine out of my 91GT and 92 GT using 4 screw drivers. See the four holes on each corner of the radio? You need to just stick something in each of the holes at the same time and pull on the radio and it will slide out. The Ford tool is nothing more than 4 rods that fit perfectly into that hole.

Scott

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties
Flowmasters
All Power
Super Chip

SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 12:22 PM   #3
Green92LX
Registered Member

Most of time when I take radios out of the fox bodies I just take the center console out too. It sounds like more work, but its easier in the long run for a couple of reasons...first, its easier to tear out that piece of $hit stock amp behind the radio, and second, its nice to clean out all the crap and run your wires nice when you tap into the speaker warness on the car side and the center console isn't in your way. Its also nice to just clean it up and get all those mystery dustmites out from that area.

In that event, I never wasted my time to go get the removal tool, which should be a u-shape if a remember correctly. All the tool does is unfasten the spring louded clips that hold the radio in.
But if you take the console out, which takes all of 3 minutes to do, you can unsnap the radio from behind.

------------------
1992 LX:V-1 S-Trim ,Edelbrock 6037 Heads,Cobra Intake,E-303,1.6 Rollers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP,24 lb injectors,MSD 6A and BTM,BBK equal length shorties,offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers,Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors,Ponies w/ 225/50 Nitto NT 450's on front,255/50 BFG Drags out back,93 Cobra Spoiler
Daily driver 89 Coupe:BBK shorties,offroad,flowturds with dumps,soon to be cyber green
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 01:34 PM   #4
jimberg
Registered Member

I just take a wire hangers and cut them and bend them to make U's. You just push them into the holes.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 01:42 PM   #5
lager94GT
Registered Member

After you insert the nails/coat hanger/pins, you need to either push them all together towards the center or outward, away from each other, (can't remember which) as you pull on the radio.

If you want the "actual" tool, you can buy it from Crutchfield for around $1 or $1.99. Pretty cheap. They'll send you two of the u shaped tools. That's what I did after getting fed up using nails and trying to push all the nails at the same time while yanking on the radio.
lager94GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 02:40 PM   #6
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Yeah I bought the tool to take the radio out of my first 91' GT. Actually I have two sets of this "tool", because of the idiots that work at Circuit City.

Unfortunately mt first GT got totaled, so I took the new 91' GT to Circuit City so they could put my old cd player in.(I couldn't get the damn wiring to work) Well, anyway on the way home I look on the floor on the passengers side where they set the stock ford radio they removed and they had left their clips in. So now I have 2 sets which I'll probably never use again, because I'm sure four smaller screw drivers would work just as well or maybe coat hangers like lager94GT suggested. Their clips are the two "U" shaped kind and are much better than the four clips I had originally bought from the electronics store.

P.S. I didn't return the clips to them because they charged me some ungodly amount of money and they didn't want to use my old adapter harness that I originaly bought from them so I had to pay for a new one. Normally I'm the type of person to return things, but not to those idiots.

------------------
1991 GT, AOD, Moroso Cold Air, 3.73s, Pulleys, 3-chamber(the left one fell off-NO time+No Money=College), FMS c-springs, and KYBs
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 03:41 PM   #7
Jaydee
Registered Member

Paid $3.00 for the removal tool at Pep Boys. and took my radio out in 2 mins. Its worth it
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 03:42 PM   #8
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Wink

Hear ya Green 92, I coughed up the 3 bucks for the tool, took me a while to figure out you need to push out with it, not just insert it

I had the radio out and the Alpine all wired up and no sound, I wasted a few hours wrestling out the dumm *** amp, and getting the speaker wires figured out, pulling out the console would have been easier in hindsight.

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. Silencer removed, K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch Finally rebuilt T-5.

74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 apart in garage, getting a 454 to put next to it
www.chevellepages.com/folingo

Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 04:19 PM   #9
Fox89GT
Registered Member

So, how do I take the console out? I found the screws near the back but are there some blind screws hidden somewhere under the dash area? How many screws are there under the dash? I never did figure it out when installing my shifter...

[This message has been edited by Fox89GT (edited 03-23-2001).]
Fox89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 11:57 PM   #10
induction
The Brit!

Thumbs up

insert the tool, (1) pull them outward <-->, then at the same time pull the tool & stereo out . this may take 2 or 3 trys . just listen for the tool to "lock or click " into place , about 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep. the tool can be found at any local auto parts store. for about 3-4 dollars.
induction is offline   Reply With Quote