MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-25-2001, 12:47 PM   #1
mustangLX92
Registered Member

Question How to get a good launch?

I need some tips on getting a good launch
My car is a 5 speed. I am using street tires
mustangLX92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 01:18 PM   #2
bada$$lx

Cool

Obviously, for the best launch - don't spin . But, practice makes perfect - every car is different. My car launches best on streets at about 2000-2500. Not all street tires are the same either. What tires do you have? Do you usually spn when you launch? At what RPM?

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; JMS Chip; 190 lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113)
Old 07-25-2001, 07:59 PM   #3
Gonzo GT
Registered Member

With street radials,do a light burnout on the foreward edge of the box and get out of the water fast.You don't to throw water up inside the wheelhouse and have it drip back down on your tires when you stage.You might even try to do it without going through the water,if your track allows.It will take a bit of practice to find the right rpm between spinning and bogging the motor.Hope this helps some. Have fun!
Gonzo GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 09:52 PM   #4
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Ok, see my 1.9 60'? i did that on 225/60/15's, back when they had some tread of course....anyway it depends on wear, brand, or track conditions, now when i launch i can bog the motor, but it seems when my rpms go up, i start squealin, or going sideways, (need gears) but before, i could bog the motor, and sling it out straight, no problem from idle, not no more, but on that 1.9 60' i missed 3rd, and probaly would have went 13.80, and i just had the eltrc fan, and coldair, no swaybar.

------------------
90 lx coupe: 175k miles, steeda water pump pully, hurst shifter, Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil, ADS chip, aluminum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs.
Best time: 13.9116(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 98.17
Best 60': 1.9607

next mods: subframes, mac h-pipe
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 09:59 AM   #5
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

i ran a 13.1@104.75 the other day in my old car on dunlop street tires with a 1.9 60 ft

my technique is to have the clutch pedal just high enuff so that it 1/4" higher the clutch woud start to engauge and hold the gas at 2500 and when its time to go go easy for a plit sec then relaese it and it hooks like crazy

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 02:15 PM   #6
SlowStang2
Registered Member

Yeah I want to know this too. An automatic was the easiest damn thing I ever launched, but a 5-speed..thats so much harder. Now I have never found a perfect way to launch. What I have done was put the RPMs from 3000-4000 and just ride the clutch out. But you know what? That does nothing. My RPMS just go down back to idle, so I dont think I am doing this right. Are you guys popping the clutch? Or do you guys ride the clutch a bit too? Cuz maybe, just maybe, I can pop the clutch with no traction problems, but it would naturally have to be a lower RPM. What do you think?

------------------
94' Stang GT Convertible --Cobra upper&lower, Mac cold air w/K&N, BBK equal length shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe, American Thunder cat-back, BBK T/B 65mm, 24lb injectors, Pro-77mm MAM, pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55s, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter 14.4@100. (Sad, i know. i have stock heads)
SlowStang2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 02:53 PM   #7
FordFasteR
Registered Member

i have a little helper in my engine, its a crane 2040 cam, that gives me a power hole under 3500 rpms.. so i can just hold the clutch slightly above engagement, and hit the gas just enough to move the car out of the hole hard with minimal tire spin, then, when i feel it hook, i drop the hammer and it just goes !!!!!

sometimes, if i do it too early, i spin the tires all the way to redline in 1st gear... then it hooks 2nd gear hard... but when its done properly, it just moves harder than anything !! (i also lower the tire pressure to 25 psi in the rear, and 35 in the front to keep it up) (eibach drag springs, 4.10 gears, world class t-5) 255 / 50 zr 15 futura ultra z's !!!!!!! WOO HOOO!!!

Ford!

------------------
5.0L 89 LX coupe
4.10 gears, CARB !!!
IM me at FORDFASTER
FordFasteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 03:53 AM   #8
blueneonman1
Registered Member

I heard somewhere to use the e-brake and feather the clutch to 2500rpms. The e-brake prevents your from moving. When the light turns green, keep your finger on the button and let it down fast and work the gas and clutch at the same time. I decided to try this one time and it worked on the street, but it may take more practice than just working the clutch cause there's more to do. I guess the whole point of it is to get your rpms up to where the hp/torque range is without moving.

------------------
Blueneonman - '95 5.0L Mustang GT Convertible | K&N Custom Cold Air Intake | FMS 9mm Wires | Hollow Cats | Flowmaster 2 Chambers | BBK Subframes | 6-pt Rollcage | King Cobra Clutch | FMS Adjustable Clutch Cable | B&M Short Throw | Coolest Neon Lighting on a Mustang EVER!

Homepage: http://www16.brinkster.com/blueneonman/
blueneonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 04:44 PM   #9
bada$$lx

Cool

Slowstang2.....it sounds like your riding the clutch out w/ it depressed too much - if you're rpm's are going down. <left heel on brake, left toes on the clutch....let the clutch out about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way... Right foot on the gas, bring rpm's to 3k....get left heel off brake and you'll be moving....let the clutch out slowly the rest of the way, or if you get a little too much spin, depress it slightly and release it again. It takes practice - 5 speeds are not easy to launch.