MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-21-2005, 11:18 PM   #1
Michael Smith
Registered Member

Default How long does it take moly rings to seat?

I have about 350 miles on this re-ringed engine and I brought it up to 5000rpm and popped the dip stick out again. This happened on the last ring job too. I had 13-16% leak down across all cylinders last time and they only had 1500 miles so I had the engine honed and ringed again with standard moly rings on probe forged flat tops. Are the rings just not seated yet? Compression is 10:1 if that matters at all. All other engine mods are in sig. Thanks for any help.
New 302 block, Probe forged pistons,Moly rings,I-beam rods,Main girdle,Canton 7Qt pan,B-cam, Edelbrock 6037's ported/decked,Exploder upper/lower ported,#24 inj,190lph fuel pump,70mm tb,73mm maf,MSD dist/coil,6al box,3.73's,Steeda lca's,QA1 k-member,subs,strut tower brace.
Michael Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:32 PM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Default Re: How long does it take moly rings to seat?

Are you sure you have the correct rings for the pistons?? Width wise are they correct??

Something doesn't sound right here. You end gaps them, right?? Didn't break them installing them?? Didn't overlap the oil ring expander??

Way too much blow by to pop the dip stickout. One more....dip stick isn't hitting the crank, is it??

Have you done a leak down test, this time?? I would start there.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:14 AM   #3
Michael Smith
Registered Member

I used probe FPS flat tops #p2482f, 4.000 bore, std size. Probe didnt have rings in stock this time so they said any standard ring set will work so I got a set of sealedpower #e251k moly rings 5/64 top, 5/64 second, 3/16 oil ring, std tension. no file fit, std end gap cant remember what it is off the top of my head. Everything went together smooth didnt break any rings or overlap on the expander. Checked dip stick for any marks if hitting crank none visible. Only pops out at 4500-5000rpm or higher. Same shit it did to me last time but at least it didnt blow the rear main like last time. I should have got an evac pump like Jeff said the first time I posted this problem, would have saved me an engine tear down. I will do a leak down but wont get to it for a couple of days I will post the results, probably same as last time. I just cant understand why a n/a engine with new rings and hone would do this again. Pcv appears to be working I have a small oil seperator between it and the intake and there is some oil in it and the pcv is new ford stuff. Just frustrating. Thanks for the reply gearhead.
New 302 block, Probe forged pistons,Moly rings,I-beam rods,Main girdle,Canton 7Qt pan,B-cam, Edelbrock 6037's ported/decked,Exploder upper/lower ported,#24 inj,190lph fuel pump,70mm tb,73mm maf,MSD dist/coil,6al box,3.73's,Steeda lca's,QA1 k-member,subs,strut tower brace.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:40 AM   #4
PKRWUD

It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to seat the rings, done properly.

I agree, another leak down test is in order. Has it used up any oil in the last 350 miles? Are you positive the compression rings are right side up?
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:41 AM   #5
Michael Smith
Registered Member

PKRWUD havent done the leak down yet with thanksgiving and all also taking a break from it before I set it on fire. Havent noticed any oil consumption probably cause I have done 3 oil changes in the 350 miles since the motor has run. I'm positive the rings are right side up. As long as the wife doesnt have something for me to do I will probably do the leak down today or tomorrow. thanks for the reply.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:40 PM   #6
Michael Smith
Registered Member

Well I finally had a little time to do the leak down. Let the engine get to operating temp then shut her down and started with the #1 cyl, piston at TDC and both valves closed, using a moroso leak down tester came up with 18% leak down on that cylinder and you could hear and feel air comming from the oil fill on the valve cover at that point just had to walk away from it. I will go back and do it again with all the cylinders probably next week dont have time over the weekend got work. Just dont get it? last build with cast rings no problem, did my son's 302 build with cast rings no problem. This engine has had two ring jobs in less then 2,000 miles with moly rings and I get freaking blow-by well just rambling on cause I'm pissed. thanks for any input from all.