MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-10-2003, 03:02 PM   #1
twilightcall
Registered Member

Default How long does it take to remove a 5.0 engine and auto trans?

I know this is subjective and different for everyone but on the average how long does it take someone to remove a 5.0 HO engine with an automatic trans. I know I will have some problems along the way but I just want to know what to expect. Or you can put how long a pro takes and how long an extreme novice takes. Thanks.
twilightcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 03:08 PM   #2
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

It takes me about a day because i take my time and mark/catalouge everything. If you have a friend and you guys just relax and go at an even pace you can make a nice weekend out of it. If you go balls to the wall it can be out in about 3 hours. But relax and take your time.

Light Em Up!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 03:26 PM   #3
twilightcall
Registered Member

Ok, thanks. I will take my time and label everything. I need to try to make it fun but I do get frustrated sometimes. I didn't plan on pulling it but I dropped something in the dist. hole. I will get plastic bags and label everything. I just didn't want it to be down too long. Thanks Again.
twilightcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
stang_racer20
Registered Member

right, label everything like noslow5.0 said, it really helps on reassembly. do you plan on pulling the trans too or leaving it in?
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 03:57 PM   #5
Beanhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twilightcall
Ok, thanks. I will take my time and label everything. I need to try to make it fun but I do get frustrated sometimes. I didn't plan on pulling it but I dropped something in the dist. hole. I will get plastic bags and label everything. I just didn't want it to be down too long. Thanks Again.
I hear 'ya! I'll only do "major" mods during the winter when she's put away. I HATE downtime!
Old 10-11-2003, 10:18 PM   #6
juiceman
Registered Member

it takes about an hour to pull everything for me, marking is a good idea, but the connectors only go to each other, so you wont mess up. save yourself some time and just lift the engine up a few inches and drop the pan. if youre only trying to get what you dropped no need to pull everything. you could even pull the the timing cover and get a magnet in there.
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote