MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-25-2001, 10:15 PM   #1
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
Post How To Make My 88GT To Weigh 3000lbs???

I have an 88 GT that i would like to put on a diet & wanted to know how i could get this sumo to weigh less than what it does now... im shooting for 3000lbs (dont know if ill ever get ther, but ill try) so any suggestions welcome.

Thanks....

------------------
1988 Mustang GT, T-5
3.08's, No Smog Pump (Shorty Belt), Dumps At The End Of Stock H-Pipe, K&N Air Filter (Stock Air Box), Removed air silendcerMy Stang
My Site (Not Done Yet)
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 11:24 PM   #2
mustang17
Registered Member

I know the basic ones.

1. A/C delete- 45 lbs
2. Aluminum heads- 40lbs
3. Junk in the trunk(tire,jack)-20lbs
4. Rear and passenger seat- 40lbs
5. sound dampening carpet- 30lbs
6. Aluminum drive shaft-15?lbs

Hey, you could stand to drop 20 pounds yourself!

------------------
1995 GT Black- Edelbrock 6037's,Intake,Edelbrock cam,70mm TB,75mm pro-m,Taylor wires, pulleys,Equal length headers,K&N filter
Flowmaster,3.73's, Eibach pro rate springs
lower control arms Centerforce clutch
New motor in the works!
mustang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 11:32 AM   #3
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Well I have a 88 mustang GT, and has the spare and crap in trucnk tooken out and a aluminum driveshaft. It also has aluminum this and that but shoudlshave off more then another 30 ibs or so i woudl guess. I also have no air conditioning. I kept the interior stock and added subframe connectors. The car only wieghs 3080 ibs. And hauls *** ....... These car were light to being wiht and i would break otu teh big bucks for fiberglass hoods and stuff rather GET A SUPERCHARGER!!!!!!! *DROOL*
vetteeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 11:46 AM   #4
Jeff Chambers

To get my '90GT to 2965#, I've had to go to pretty drastic extremes. Besides the basics, you can add:

Remove front sway bar
remove all emissions (air pump, etc.)
remove radio & antennea
remove cruise control
cut door beams out
lightweight seats
remove rear seats
remove all seat belts (5pt harness)
fiberglass hood
remove both bumpers (inc. foglights)
remove tensioner & alternator bracket
switch to manual brakes
switch to manual steering
remove heater & AC core
remove floor mats
switch to smaller high-torque starter
switch to Dynabat battery

I'm sure there's more, but it escapes me right now. I've also got a Lexan sunroof to replace my factory glass. That should take off about another 12 pounds.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.86 Seconds / 113.8 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 12:03 PM   #5
mspears
Registered Member

Hey Jeff,
Tell me about the bumber removal. Did you not have to replace them with some other sort of bumber?
What does NHRA say about bumbers?

Thanks,
Mark
mspears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 07:42 PM   #6
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
I dont have a/c, cruise control, power windows, but i want to take out stuff that doesnt matter, i dont want to spend the $$$ for anything right now, so i might remove the smpg pump (it doesnt work right now, so how hard is it to remove it?? dont think ill remove the sway bars, but i will get alum. d/s, racing seats, i will keep the back seats in (can i replace them with light weight ones???
thanks,
Kris

------------------
1988 Mustang GT, T-5
3.08's, No Smog Pump (Shorty Belt), Dumps At The End Of Stock H-Pipe, K&N Air Filter (Stock Air Box), Removed air silendcerMy Stang
My Site (Not Done Yet)
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 07:54 AM   #7
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

The smog pump comes off with two bolts, very easy. You will need to remove the air tube from the back of the heads and plug them up with threaded plugs. Pull the front Sway bar, it will allow the front suspension to travel further and give you better weight transfer, especially after you add the drag struts and shocks. Do yourself a favor and get Polyethylene seats, the alum seats will be very uncomfortbale on the street, I have the JAZ seats and they are pretty nice they have a lot of lower back support, these are the same seats you see in JEGS and SUMMIT.

Jeff was able to take out his bumpers becuase it isn't a street car, well it doesn't see as mucyh street duty as it once did, removing the bumpers or replacing the mounts with the Alum piece will drop a lot of weight but is unsafe for the street.

The fog light mounjts are a ton of weight I made new ones from Stainless Steel much lighter and they won't rust.

I have no idea how vetteatr got his car down to 3080lbs with just that little but done, I am going to weigh mine when I finally get to the track. I am shooting for 2950-3000 lbs.

Here's my list:
JAZ Poly racing seat
no back seat
no deadoner
no padding
no A/C or PS or related componets
no emissions related items, air pump etc..
Alum heads, intakes, etc...
Alum radiator, mounts
Electric Fan
Fiber glass hood
No front Sway bar
Weld Skinnies
8 pt S&W roll bar with X brace @ 85lbs. added

I know I am forgetting things but thats a good portion

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!

[This message has been edited by Rick 91GT (edited 04-27-2001).]
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 10:52 AM   #8
Jeff Chambers

You're right about that. Mine is pretty much relegated to being a trailer queen any more. I'm trying to get my plates renewed, but it'd be for the occasional Saturday night drive down to the cruise-in and maybe the odd sunny day to work and back. But running full-time on the street without bumpers isn't recommended.

The bumper covers do sag a little without the bumper underneath them, but I'll take the sagging if it lets me go rounds on Sunday. The rear bumper alone was worth almost 50 pounds. As far as safety goes for me, I've got a six point bar in the car so the bumpers and door beams don't worry me. The cage is much stronger than either of them. I've never really checked the NHRA rule book about the bumpers. I'll have to look into that.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.86 Seconds / 113.8 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Old 04-27-2001, 10:54 AM   #9
Jeff Chambers

Just checking my new sig.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.655 Seconds / 116.6 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Old 04-27-2001, 11:52 AM   #10
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff chambers:
Just checking my new sig.

New best times pretty cool, I take you guys are getting use to the Lentech, that class is pretty hot this year with 11.30 times. Good Luck Jeff. Will you be at Maple Grove in June Jeff, I plan on racing in the Open Comp class.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!

[This message has been edited by Rick 91GT (edited 04-27-2001).]
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 04:13 PM   #11
jchambers

LOVE THE LENTECH!!! I'm actually having fun driving again. It got to the place last year that every run down the track was a worry about breaking a T5. Lentech has taken care of that. Now I'm going down track and concentrating on making the perfect pass, consistency wise. We're still learning the AOD, trying to tune the suspension and wring what we can out of the motor. I really thing the car has 11.50's in it right now. Not bad for a little 306 with unported cast iron heads, shorty headers and a .500" lift cam!

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #3
11.655 Seconds/116.6 MPH
Chambers Racing Team