MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2001, 09:25 PM   #1
John
Registered Member

Question how to stop surging?

when i throw her into gear she stalls (darn stock torque conv.), i have the plate between throttle body and iac (seems to help some) maybe i am not doing the adjust right. also running real rich and loading up the plugs. 38 psi and 20 deg. of timing, i'm gonna back timing to 16 or 18 any hints please.

------------------
89 Notch: ASP Pullies,
K&N Air,Transgo shiftkit,Trans. cooler,FMS 3 core , FMS 4:10's, 1.5" cowl, cold air kit, hooker shorties(jet hot coated), O/R H-Pipe, ASP solid mounts, Energy Sus. Trans. Mnt. BBK 70mm TB, MSD 6al, Dual elec. fans, 5.0 Firepower Kit, Scorpion 1.6 RR's, Flowmasters, 73 mm MAF, cobra intake and crower #512 cam,
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 03:11 AM   #2
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Did it just start doing it? Or did you just install that cam?

------------------
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 10:22 AM   #3
moponys
Registered Member

Maybe a custom chip would help. My car use to do the same thing and pinged like crazy. It doesn't do either after the chip was installed...

------------------
TFS twisted wedge heads, TFS street intake, Lunati cam .500/.510 218/226, BBK FPR, BBK shorties, BBK 70mm tb, Pro-m 75mm, ASP pulleys, FMS 3:73, Transgo shiftkit,Flowmasters, Bassani x-pipe, K&N FIPK, FMS 1.6 roller rockers, 9mm wires,24lbs injectors,
190lph fuel pump, MSD cap and rotor, 18" wheels w/street tires, JMS custom chip, Trickflow phenolic spacer. ETs soon to come...
moponys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 03:31 PM   #4
John
Registered Member

I just installed the cam, I think i got it now, but there is a miss or something when crusing a constant speed or idling in gear, my buddy said its cam surge. I pulled the plugs today and #1 was wet, i was told to increase psi as the computer will supply more gas when leaning out the pressure.

------------------
89 Notch: ASP Pullies,
K&N Air,Transgo shiftkit,Trans. cooler,FMS 3 core , FMS 4:10's, 1.5" cowl, cold air kit, hooker shorties(jet hot coated), O/R H-Pipe, ASP solid mounts, Energy Sus. Trans. Mnt. BBK 70mm TB, MSD 6al, Dual elec. fans, 5.0 Firepower Kit, Scorpion 1.6 RR's, Flowmasters, 73 mm MAF, cobra intake and crower #512 cam,
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 07:00 PM   #5
mustanger82
Registered Member

umm mustangs surge becuase of a faulty o2 sensor, or the o2 sensor picking up flase air in the system, its a major ford porblem. check for exhaust leaks from the manifold back to the cat , false air ( air that enters after the combustion chamber) reaches the o2 sensor the computer is programed to richen the fuel mixture when too much 02 is left after combustion the rich signal is sent to the injectors the rpm rises and exhaust pressure rises and the false air cant be drawn in through the leak and the o2 sensor thinks the mixture is really rich so it cuts the fuel the sudden drop in rpm causes negative pressure in the exhast system (vaccum) and air is drawn in through the hole and the mixture is read as lean again. This goes back and forth till the car basicly surges itself to a stall. Most people say the problem is only when the motor is cold, and this is true cause when the motor warms up the exhast pipe expands and often seals the leak if its not too bad.
Also an 02 sensor giving an erratic pattern can cause the same thing. o2 sensor testing is very simple and can be done with a volt meter so if you want info on that gimme a shout at mustanger82@hotmail.com
mustanger82 is offline   Reply With Quote