MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-28-2004, 08:35 AM   #1
crazypete
Registered Member

Default Hunting for a PS ford part #

I was replacing my power steering pressure hose yesterday and the PS pump side fitting refused to come out of the pump. I struggled and struggled and all of a sudden, the fitting that the fitting was threaded into suddenly came out as well. I said 'yay' cause now I could torch it. Well, I torched and bashed and torched and soaked and torched again and jumped up and down on it and all to no avail. The two fittings are permanently fused together. I'm trying to get a ford parts dude to order the part number but he's confused as to what it is. He faxed me an exploded diagram but that doesnt have the part on it either. It's where hose fitting 3A719 threads into pump number 3A674. There's some spring loaded valve looking thing on the other side of it.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:24 AM   #2
crazypete
Registered Member

Oh no! It looks like they are of the opinion that the larger fitting is not a servicable item. I may have just wrecked my pump.

How would you gents go about separating a pair of stuck together fittings? I've torched it pretty good and she's soaking in tolene overnight.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
Old 04-29-2004, 08:40 AM   #3
crazypete
Registered Member

Neat! I crazy torched and bashed it last night and finally, my girlfirend said "man, that crap is stuck good, give up!" and that very hammer blow knocked it loose. I just need her around to be negative and all my car projects will flow smoothly! =P

Anyhow. My PS system has ridiculous air in it now and when I started the car, the wheel was moving on it's own! Left to right to left to right...jiggling, all the while my pump screaming. After a few minutes, it stopped and I was able to cut the wheel left to right without PS pump noise.

How does one go about bleeding a PS system and/or getting the bubbles out or am I all set?
Old 04-30-2004, 09:10 AM   #4
drudis

Turn the wheel lock-to-lock and hold at the end of travel for a few seconds (only!). That will bleed the system.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:30 AM   #5
crazypete
Registered Member

Cool, thats exactly what I did! I guess I'm all set. I think that system needed to be bled! That PS fluid was tar! Maybe I should explicitly bleed the system....

:/

If I disconnect the return hose on the back/underside of the PS pump, I can empty the system, right?

By the way, NOT A DROP UNDER THE CAR!!!! wooohooo

(well, not from the ps pump, anyway!)
Old 04-30-2004, 03:39 PM   #6
drudis

Yes, disconnect the low pressure side (the one with the hose clamp). Aim at (cause you'll miss anyways) a bucket.
Plug the reservoir, then fill it with new fluid.
Turn the motor over, but dont start it.
Pump will flush new fluid thru the system.
Reattach hose, and fill, and bleed.

p.s. I had really good success with the Mobil synthetic fluid on my roadracer.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:30 PM   #7
White GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazypete
Neat! I crazy torched and bashed it last night and finally, my girlfirend said "man, that crap is stuck good, give up!" and that very hammer blow knocked it loose.
Dawn this is evil. lol

Got the exactly the same problem two weeks ago because i had to remove the PS pressure hose to upgrade to A/C system.
I know this is strange but i had to do it. This car is a real oven in summer.

I was less lucky because when i tried to remove it, everything was stuck really hard then i use too much force. Or maybe i was possessed by satan. Anyway. In the end the fitting was completly wreck and the hose was twisted.

Then all this given me a brand new hose and a happy GF

And as my lil bro said.

''I rather love to push a Ford then driving a GM''

My GT

My Web Page

On Car domain

Last edited by White GT; 05-01-2004 at 06:43 AM..
White GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 12:16 PM   #8
crazypete
Registered Member

The funny thing is...since I bashed the living crap out of my PS pump, it's been absolutely silent and hasnt leaked even a single drop. I guess precussive maintanence really works on the fords!