MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-24-2003, 11:01 AM   #1
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Question Hydraulic Roller Lifters - Help Me Decide

I'm changing lifters and wanted to know which lifters to use.

The Crane lifters are $170. The Comp Cams lifters are $240. That's a huge difference in price. (Both prices from Summit).

I'm pulling the E-cam and putting in a blower cam from Comp. It makes sense to use the same brand of hardware, but, a lifter is a lifter, and I don't want to pay an extra $70 if I don't have to.

Comp cams says its lifters are machined to tighter tolerances.

What do you guys think?

'91 LX - 331 w/ Procharger
'03 Cobra Convertible - Pullied
'94 Lightning
'65 Mustang Coupe
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 02:51 PM   #2
Jacsracing
Registered Member

Having been there and done that, save yourself some money and stick with the stock Ford lifters. Crane and CompCams are selling the same thing anyway. If your looking for higher RPM, focus on the cam design and the valve springs. The Renegade guys spin stock lifters (Ford) to over 7500RPM. Buy quality valve springs that have a seat pressure between 130 and 150 lbs that can also handle the lift of your cam.

John

Jacsracing.com
Jacsracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 05:06 PM   #3
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

John -

Thanks. I would normally re-use the lifters, but I think one of them has failed...I get a tapping noise on start-up. The tapping goes away after about 2-3 min. of running. Checked under the valve covers and the lash is good, nothings broken or bent.

Could this be a bad lifter?

Btw, Ford wants $10.50 per lifter (good guy price). I think I'll buy the Crane lifters from Summit and take advantage of the 10% off special they're having.

Russ

'91 LX - 331 w/ Procharger
'03 Cobra Convertible - Pullied
'94 Lightning
'65 Mustang Coupe
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:10 PM   #4
Jacsracing
Registered Member

Hi Russ

Don't reuse those lifters you have. They get soft inside pretty quick. The Crane ones are good. I have a set myself I used for a bit. I just found them to be identical to stock Ford lifters (I took both Crane and Ford apart). Comp Cams was supposed to come out with anti-pump-up versions, but I don't think they ever got them to work properly. The hydraulic rollers are very heavy. That's why the spring pressure is increased for performance use. There is a limit though. Too much pressure will collapse the lifters.

Was that price for the Ford lifers from a Motorsports dealer or a Ford parts counter? I remember paying only about $90 for a set. But maybe they went up in price since then, or I got a real good deal and didn't know it.

Anyway, do replace them and get a good set of valve springs if you plan to spin the motor up relatively high.

Good Luck with the project.

John

Jacsracing.com
Jacsracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 07:25 PM   #5
glenn95gt
Registered Member

crane, comp, &FMS are all the same lifters. Your best bet is to find the best price in a 5.0 mag, and price match it with summit. They are usually good about beating those prices. Also if you want to get new springs, I have a set of AFR 165's double valve springs I am selling for $75. they are still new. LMK.
My Car
glenn95gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 04:04 PM   #6
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Quote:
Originally posted by Jacsracing
Hi Russ

Don't reuse those lifters you have. They get soft inside pretty quick.
John - can you elaborate more? I'm curious as to what 'get soft inside' means. I'm going to be changing my cam, lifters, springs soon and need as much information as possible.

Thanks in advance,
E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote