MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-19-2001, 01:12 PM   #1
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Post I am getting a vortech supercharger. Need help on preping my motor for it...

It is official I now have the money to buy a vortech supercharger what do I need to do to my car to prepare for it do I need to buy bigger injectors or what and most importantly will the vortech work with mass air.

I will no longer be needing my cold air fender kit if anyone wants to make an offer.

Thanks in advance

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers mac cold air fender kit 3.73 FMS gears cowl hood nitto drag radials ford racing clutch flow masters h-pipe 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 01:40 PM   #2
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

First, we need details, and lots of them.

How much boost (pressure read at the manifold) are you going to run? 6 lbs. or 20 lbs? Most likely you're somewhere in between. How many miles on your motor? Have you performed a leak-down?

As for preping your car, here are a few general suggestions:

1) Fuel - make sure you have enough of it. Match the right sized injector for your application. Do you need 36's, 42's 50's? Do you need an FMU? Does the kit come with one? You will also need a bigger pump, 255 in tank plus an external, if necessary.

2) Timing - back this down to stock level (10) or lower. Get a BTM from MSD to keep it in check.

3) Ignition - get a quality ignition system (MSD) to properly ignite and completely burn all air/fuel mixture. Plug will probably have to be a range colder and gapped around .030 or .035".

4) Tuning - I would recommend a tune by a shop that has experience with Vortech's and preferrably a custom burnt chip or PMS from Anderson in order to keep everything running properly (idle, air/fuel ratios, WOT, etc.)

There are many other factors to consider, but these should at least get you thinking in the right direction.

Don't forget about engine cooling - you may need to step this up too.

Good luck, E

------------------
1991 5.0 LX Coupe - 38,000 miles

13.17 @ 106.14 mph w/ 2.138 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 03:38 PM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

The Vortech supercharger that I want is a vortech s-trim and I believe puts out 9 lbs of boost.

My engine has about thirty thousand miles on it (rebuilt)

This guy that I work with builds 7 second dragster engines so I think that he knows what he is doing and I trust his judgement so I am going to get him to help me out on the install, but he is really busy so wont be able to help me with the prep work.

So I need 255 lph fuel pump, probably 36 # injectors and a good ignition system.

Have any of you ever heard of a supercharged car with mass-air I have talked to one guy that says that it will work but I dont know if I trust his judgement or not.

And about engine cooling that is a no brainer for me since my radiator is a POS

As far as what the supercharger comes with it says the it is a complete kit whatever that means.

Thanks for the good info: Any additional info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers mac cold air fender kit 3.73 FMS gears cowl hood nitto drag radials ford racing clutch flow masters h-pipe 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs.
Old 09-19-2001, 04:00 PM   #4
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

I see you have an 88 Mustang - most all (except for cali Stangs in that year) were SPEED DENSITY - not MAF cars (Mass Air Flow).

Did you convert your Stang to mass air? If so, then the answer to your question is 'Yes' the Vortech will work well with the mass-air. If you are still speed density, then most likely you will have idle and driveability issues.

E

------------------
1991 5.0 LX Coupe - 38,000 miles

13.17 @ 106.14 mph w/ 2.138 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 06:23 PM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 302 LX Eric:
I see you have an 88 Mustang - most all (except for cali Stangs in that year) were SPEED DENSITY - not MAF cars (Mass Air Flow).

Did you convert your Stang to mass air? If so, then the answer to your question is 'Yes' the Vortech will work well with the mass-air. If you are still speed density, then most likely you will have idle and driveability issues.

E

Damn It I am a retard I meant to say speed density. I guess it is time to make the switch to mass air though and get this done right

------------------
Old 09-20-2001, 06:09 PM   #6
Yan88gt
Registered Member

If you don't have any other airflow mods, your stock injectors can handle 9psi. You will need a bigger fuel pump and a powerdyne speed density calibration kit 65$ approx. You can also make a check valve system( similar to the powerdyne kit) I use to have a supercharged speed density mustang that have been stolen 2 years ago . E-mail me if you some details on that check valve system. My car was running like any other mass-air car.
Yan88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 10:00 AM   #7
PWR_RYD93
Registered Member

The Vortech S-trim kit comes with everything you need: head unit, bypass valve system, T-Rex pump, FMU, MSD boost retard box, brackets, lines, hoses, fittings, clamps, etc. You will however need to switch to Mass Air. The S-trim kit was designed to bolt right on to a stock 5.0L engine (mass air) with nothing else to buy.

If you don't change the pulley on the S-trim (smaller pulley to make more boost), then you don't necessarily have to get a bigger fuel pump or bigger injectors. The kit comes with a T-Rex inline booster pump and an FMU (fuel management unit), so your stock in-tank pump and 19# injectors will do. But if you have a better intake manifold, heads, exhaust, cam, etc. then you really should upgrade the fuel pump and injectors.

The other stuff already mentioned is good: one step colder plugs, smaller plug gap, only run 93 octane or better gas, take your timing back to stock (10* BTDC), etc. The MSD6AL box is a nice addition.

------------------
Craig
Supercharged 93 GT
Basically stock 93 Cobra
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol!"

[This message has been edited by PWR_RYD93 (edited 09-21-2001).]
PWR_RYD93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 10:41 PM   #8
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Craig said everything I wanted to say.

Convert to mass air get the S-trim kit and you're set!

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS TW Heads, E-303, Edelbrock intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 24lb injectors, 1 5/8 shorties, Off Road H, 3 Chamber flows, Jaz Race seats, Back seat removed, sub-frames, Roll Cage, and a 80 shot of N20.
12.54@107.4 Motor
332RWHP, 350rwtq
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote