MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-17-2006, 10:43 PM   #1
Devine65GT
Registered Member

Default blinker and lights

ok guys i was driveing home tonight and i noticed my blinkers wernt working the right blinker works about every 3 blinks and i get nothing on the dash blinker indicator lights. and the dash lights and headlights are very dim, also when i pulled in i check things out seems like when i put the blinkers on eaither right or left when the break lights are on, the brake light stops working. but still no blinking. the tail lights stay on just the bake light goes off. any one had this problem?
thanks matt
Old 03-18-2006, 01:42 AM   #2
statehedgehog
Registered Member 65 Mustang

Default Re: blinker and lights

I don't know if this will help or not but, it sounds like you may have a shot circuit in the wiring. I had a problem like this with my 65. It really was a mistake on my part. When I put my car together I ended up pinching the wiring harness with a bolt. It was betwen the radiator and the radiator support facing the engine. When I tightened a bolt I caught the wire and it cut the coating which shorted the circuit. Also check your headlight switch, they are famous for going bad. Good luck
statehedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:45 AM   #3
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Since the brake light and the turnsignals are the same filiment in the bulb the problems are connected.

See if the flasher is good, just change it they are very cheap. Check all the grounds in the trunk and out front where the front parking lamps are. I think you might have a turnsignal switch bad. Pretty common problem.

Now the dim headlamps...is another story. Is the generator/alternator putting out proper voltage?? If it is then you're loosing it as it goes to the headlamps. See what voltage you have a the headlamp bulb plug. Let us know.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
Devine65GT
Registered Member

ok i went back out to look for the problem after i posted lastnight. the car is dead it wont start witch makes me think eaither battery or generator/alternator im going to go have the battery checked, the alternator isnt that old maybe a year. the battery on the other hand is a couple years old. ill post when i findout what it was. thanks for the help guys
matt
Old 03-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
okiedragster
Drag Racer and Mach1 Addict

be sure to check the voltage regulator, the the points in the regulator are stuck it will zap the battery quick...

My 71 Mach 1
okiedragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:59 PM   #6
Devine65GT
Registered Member

thanks for the help guys. it turned out to the the alternator, i replaced the battery alternator and the voltage regulator, just to be on the safe side. thanks for all the help again
matt
Old 03-21-2006, 01:26 PM   #7
Devine65GT
Registered Member

ok guys same problem. i changed everything out just like the post above. and still the same end result. did the same to me now wont start, battery dead, any other ideas? this a short somewhere but i couldnt find one
Old 03-21-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
Rev
Registered Member

There's a short somewhere. Charge the battery and check for a discharge with everything off. If there is current, then check each connection to the solenoid for the draw until you find which circuit is causing it. Then you have to follow that circuit until you find the short circuit.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote