MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-09-2001, 07:06 PM   #1
SPEEDY88
Registered Member

Question I hate myself for this but........

I really do but I have to ask. I was on the freeway at WOT and i heard my pony pinging...I am thinking because the timing is bad...Anyway, what should my timing be? I took off the underdrive pullies, the hypertech chip, all I have is the 3:73's,full exhaust(well, some because I still have the stock headers)clutch is still there, so what should my timimg be? I know I have to take the spout connector off before I check it and I have to put it back after I adjust the timimg. If I turn it(distributor) clockwise would it retard the timimg or advance it. And if I turn it counter clockwise what would it do. My main question is what would you do? retard it or advance it and to what? thanks guys I really appreciate this. I know this has been here before but I just can't bring the posts back again like I could before can I ????????

------------------
88GT-Bassani X-pipe,Two chamber flowmasters,3:73 gears, King Cobra clutch, Steeda clutch quadrant, pro 5.0, K&N, Hypertech chip, Underdrive Pulleys,High Volume oil pump....ALL POWERED BY MY FOOT!!!
SPEEDY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 09:58 PM   #2
Coolbreeze
Registered Member

You nee to bring it down some if your are pinging. What grade of gas are you running?? Run the highest octane when the timing is bumped up. But you should have the timing set anywhere from 10* to 15*, every car is different. Just keep bumping it up until it ping then take it down a couple degrees. Or play with it up & down to you feel the best seat of pants feel without pinging. Start at 10* for a base line and go for there........

------------------
Mike
My 86GT site
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 09:13 AM   #3
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Arrow

If you plan on putting your chip back in start at 10* and work backwords. With my ADS chip I had my timing at 8*.

I just adjusted my timing a couple days ago and I already can't remember what direction to turn the distributor to retard or advance the timing. Just move it very carfully and watch the dampner. As long as you move it very carfully you won't damage anything.

------------------
1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 08:25 PM   #4
BlackFly
Registered Member

turning it clockwise advances it. and vice versa.
BlackFly is offline   Reply With Quote