MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-01-2003, 01:37 PM   #1
bobtodd
Registered Member

Default I need help with FP problem!!

I have had my car stored over the last sixth months. One of thing frist things I did this spring before starting it up was install a Kirban fuel pressure regulator. Well, I start the car up and the fuel pressure takes forever to get up to where its supposed to be....like it's slowly building up. Also, whenever I rev the car up the fuel pressure gauge needle doesnt move. The gauge basically doesnt move at all when I drive it either. You can see very tiny fluctuations in the needle but nothing big. The guage is an Auto Meter and I just put it on last year. I have no clue what to do. Could something be clogging my fuel up since it had been sitting all winter? I had a half a tank of gas in it through the winter and I added another five gallons of racing fuel in it before I started it up so there is some good gas in it.
The gauge shows that the fuel pressure holds steady after the car is turned off..no leak down.
I changed the fuel filter last summer. Could the fuel pump sock possibly be clogged?
If anyone has had a problem like this please let me know!! I may try putting the stock regulator back on to see if that does anything different. Thanks for the help!
91 LX - 10.5:1 pistons, ported 289 heads, Ultradyne 588 cam, Cobra upper/lower, MSD, JBA long tube headers, Flowmaster, Richmond 4:10, roll cage, monster tach...FUN!!

95 SHO - K&N filter
bobtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 12:04 PM   #2
ArtMan
Registered Member

Unhappy Other Approach

Are you sure it isn't your fuel pressure gauge?
How does the car run? If your not geeting the right pressure as the guage seems to indicate the engine should show some symptoms.
Rice Hater's Club Member #225
ArtMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 12:23 PM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

It sounds like you dont have a vacuum hose hooked to the regulator to me.

If a vacuum isnt put on the regulator the pressure wont move.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 07:15 PM   #4
bobtodd
Registered Member

I'm getting 6 inches of vacuum. All vacuum lines are connected and dont show signs of leaking. The vacuum line is on the regulator. When I pull the line off and on the fuel pressure doesnt change much. The car feels doggy. I dont want to get on it too much because I dont want to run lean at all...the fuel pressure doesnt go up when I gun it.
I am going to try and spray some carb cleaner around the intake and see if that does something.
91 LX - 10.5:1 pistons, ported 289 heads, Ultradyne 588 cam, Cobra upper/lower, MSD, JBA long tube headers, Flowmaster, Richmond 4:10, roll cage, monster tach...FUN!!

95 SHO - K&N filter
bobtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 10:35 PM   #5
jimberg
Registered Member

Use a diagnostic fuel pressure gauge and see what it does. Read the Tuning thread to see how to force the fuel pump to run without starting your engine. You just jumper the fuel pump test lead to ground when the key is in the on position. This is the best way to set your fuel pressure.