MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-10-2001, 09:39 PM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question Guitarists, I need your quick advice.

I posted about getting a new Classical guitar and got lots of great advice from you all.

I went by the local music store and they had a bigger selection than b4 (4 classical guitars!!). Anyway, I played one really nice one for about an hr., trying different techniques, listening to quality, feel, looks. It looks pretty good (my taste), sounds very good and has a 3 band equalizer and built in pickup. The name brand is La Patríe. Never heard of it. It's made in Canada.

It was the best sounding one in there. Perfect amoung of action on the strings, beautiful sound, good looks, and the added benefit of being able to plug it in an amp. Price is $599 and I told them that it would have to come with wooden case for me to buy it. I have them holding it for me until Friday when I will go and tell them my decision whether to get it or not.

I don't want to be greedy and try to hold out for the best guitar at the lowest price b/c that would take forever, but I also don't want to settle for less than perhaps I could get. It is well below my price range ( < $1100). Honestly, I am not in love with the guitar, that's why I am not totally sure about getting it and want your advice. If I want to get a better one or searhc for more, I will have to go out of town. I hope that fact isn't making me quick to buy this one b/c it is in town. But then again, like I said, it sounds really good. ONe of the best I've heard--honestly. Hard to explain.

Let me know what you think please.

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under custom made 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter. Only a couple of weeks b4 Project FOX begins!!!

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 12:09 AM   #2
nicolette
Registered Member

hey,
i am just a beginner when it comes to guitars (and cars for that point!) but unless you are in love with the guitar dont get it. it might sound good to you, but trust me it'll sound all the sweeter if ya find one you absolutely love! ;p
good luck!

------------------
nicolette, 1968 coupe, straight 6 and proud of it! ;p
nicolette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 04:40 AM   #3
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thanks Nicolette, I will consider that. The only thing though is that I don't want to be too picky or feel that I must have the best guitar in the world. THe thing is, while I am not TOTALLY in love with the guitar, it is one of the best I've heard (although I have not heard many) and I have not found anything wrong with it. Everything is in good shape.

BTW, others, please remember, the name brand of it is La Patríe. Have you heard of that plan. As of now, I am prepared to buy it and kinda plan on doing it Friday.

My concern is in anything, car or guitar, I don't wanna rush, but I have been searching for a long time too (but this is with a small selection too). Maybe I need to check out more first...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 10-11-2001, 04:43 AM   #4
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

BTW, when I played it (for about and hr) it soundeed really well, but this was with REALLY OLD, beat up strings.

I asked the guy to put on new strings so they'd be at least half-stretched by Friday afternoon (2 days later). I really wanna hear this thing with new strings. This is why I'm so interested in it. If it sounded as good as it did with OLD OLD strings, I am eager to hear it with new strings.

Old 10-11-2001, 08:39 AM   #5
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Nicolette is right. If you aren't sure, then it ain't the one. I haven't play in a while(someone stole all my stuff), but when I bought all of guitars, I knew the moment I plugged them in that I needed them. Same with the amp, and so on.

Any hesitation means that the guitar has something about that you don't like about it, and therefore you won't be as happy with it.
Just $0.02 worth om my opinion. Later.
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 03:29 PM   #6
CAMARO GUY
Registered Member

fox body,
I have played for a long time now and I can tell you from experience to wait. guitars are not cheap and it is something you will have for a very long time. Take your time and check out more. you will know when you find what you're looking for.

later
CAMARO GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 09:00 PM   #7
andy669
Registered Member

Hey Fox Body, Whenever i'm in the market for something new and want to get price comparisons, I go to the worlds online market place. FLEABAY!! I did a search for that brand name (i've never heard of it) and voila, there it was. However I cant read German so I cant tell you anything about it. It was priced at about $230. Hope this helps and let us know what you get.
andy

------------------
3 Black 94 GT Vert. AODE/TKO conversion, 3:73's, ported X-305's, GT40 manifolds, 75mm TB, 30lbers, PMS, 300 horse Top Gun wet kit, and all the other little stuff
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 01:17 AM   #8
myred86gt
Registered Member

when it comes to guitars, buy a used one!
It's already depreciated and you get a nicer
guitar for the money. I'd rather buy a nice
used Martin than a new Washburn for the same
money.
When it comes to amps, buy a new one! ( unless your in love with a vintage one)
I can only tell you buyer beware with amps,
especially tube ones. I know this because
I make a living working on these things!
Good luck in your search!
myred86gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 08:57 AM   #9
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thank you all for your replies/advice. You are telling me what, deep down inside, I know I should be thinking, but am too eager to get a classical: If I'm not sure, and if there is hesitations on my part about it, then don't do it. Also that I really need to look around and choose from a MUCH larger selection than 4 guitars. I owe this to myself.

I looked around the web last night and found this website: Maple Street Guitars. They seem to have an awesome selection, the type I need to choose from. Many different brands/qualities, a wide range of prices, and people who know guitars and are willing to help you pick one out. And it's in Atlanta, not far from me. Also, if I find a guitar I like, I want papers on it, I want to know about it as much as possible, if it's solid or not, what type of wood is used on all sides, etc...

I got the guys at the local guitar shop holding that La Patrie for me until Friday (today). They put some new strings on it for me (actually they badly needed changing). I will tell them "never mind". Really, the main reason I am gonna wait and not buy the La Patrie is not cause I don't like it, no it's nice, but I just need to look around more. I can't just look at 4 classicals and make a limited choice from that, I don't think that'd be wise.

Thanks again guys.