MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-26-2001, 06:35 PM   #1
JANESLX50
Registered Member

Unhappy I think I'm gonna be sick

My husband was driving the stang to work doing about 75 when all of a sudden a loud bang came from under the hood. When he was able to pull over and checked the serpentine belt was gone. Well, we got it towed to the Ford dealer and after looking closer we could see the bottom gear where the timing chain would go around. Please bear with me, I'm not too familiar with engines and right now I'm fighting back tears. It looks like the pulley is pushed out closer to the front of the car and we can see the gear(?) a little. I can't really remember what it all looks like in that part of the engine. I cant be sure but it looks like the timing chain broke and knocked off part of the cover. Now here's the big question. In your guys opinion how terminal is this? Ford will be calling us in a day or two but in the meantime I'm a basketcase right now. My husband and I aren't mechanics and would really appreciate anything (good & bad). Please help guys and gals.
No Cheers today.
JANESLX50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 07:18 PM   #2
stangbang
Registered Member

Wink

If all that happened is that the chain broke and took out the cover,it's not so bad. However there may be additional damage that is not readily apparent.Worst case scenario is that you buy a new crate motor and install it. It depends on whats broke and if it's cost effective to fix it or cheaper to go with a new motor.
stangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 07:49 PM   #3
JANESLX50
Registered Member

That helps a little. Heres a dumb question. Since it looks like the timing chain broke and took part of the cover with it- if someone tried to start it up would anything happen? Would anything try to turn over or will it just be completely dead? When the chain took off for Neverland it must have taken the serpentine belt with it. I know this must sound stupid to you guys but we really need to know as much about this as we can. It will help when decision time rolls around.
Thanks for your help.
Old 06-26-2001, 08:50 PM   #4
mikew88gt
Registered Member

There are so many things that could have happened. I never saw a timing chain just break for without reason unless you have a lot of mileage on the engine. It sounds as though your crank stopped which is bad. (Crank stops, accessories still spinning causes belt to fly off). You won't know the extent until you (or Ford) does the tear down but I can't off much optimism. Good luck to ya.
mikew88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 09:37 PM   #5
JANESLX50
Registered Member

We're trying to prepare ourselves for the worst. The car has about 110,000 miles on it, but we've babied it since day one. In fact it still has the original clutch that has never slipped and still works great. Hardly ever saw red-line and performed all the regular maintenance. This is breaking my heart. We should know the diagnosis by Thursday.
Old 06-26-2001, 09:45 PM   #6
jerryIII

can you see the timing chain at the top or bottom??? but like said previously, until you can get it tore apart it's hard to say...

worse case scenario,,,, a new 302 short block is about $700.00...

------------------
Black,84 GT,ground effects,shorty headers, 'open' dual exh.,302 HO(no pollution control crap),T5,89 ported heads,edelbrock Performer manifold, Edelbrock 2122 cam,600 Holley, high volume oil pump...

4:10's on their way!!!!
Old 06-26-2001, 11:28 PM   #7
dinomite
The Dude

hehe, if you do have to get a new motor, i'd suggest my route:

"honey, ford called, they said its dead, so i was thinkin....in the ford catalog, the sell this 393 stroker, puts out 600 odd hp, how does that sound as areplacement? I mean, we're already gonna have the engine out, might as well upgrade. And since we are gonna have the motor out, why not put in a new tubular K-member, and then some 13 in rotors on it with new spindles? And since we have to get a new driveline, why not get discs back there?"
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 11:51 PM   #8
Stang951
Registered Member

You might want to look into the crate motor. The worst case scenerio is that the crank shaft shattered or broek near the front journals. The only reason that I even thought of this was that someone posted pics of this happening on one fo the forum boards recently. (go with the 351 crate motor)

------------------
1988 Mustang LX w5.8/ 1993 Thunderbird LX 5.0 / 1990 5.8 block/ Edelbrock Perfromer Intake/ Edelbrock Performer RPM cam and lifters/ Edelbrock Performer street pump/ Edelbrock timing gears/ Ronald Boudreaux custom headers and exhaust/ Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers/ March Performance billet aluminum underdrive pulleys/ MSD billet distributor/ MSD 6AL ignition box/ MSD Superconductor wires/ Energy SUspension polyurethane engine and transmission mounts/ Omega adjustable Roller rocker arms / Ford M
Stang951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 12:54 AM   #9
jwboner
Registered Member

Here's something no one has brought up and that has happened to me. The oil pump froze up breaking the cheap factory timing chain, and now the bad part. When the chain breaks the cam stops dead and any valves that are left open are smashed when the piston that is connected to the still moving crank hits them. Now you hope that it just bends the valve and doesn't cause much damage to the head, and just replace the valves. There are times when the rod can break, punch a hole in the block, and pretty much a total loss. But from what you have said I doubt it's that serious, but anything can happen when something goes out and you just have to get the news back from the shop and ask them to show and explain options.

------------------
65 Mustang fastback
347 DFI injected, TFS, too much to say
Just about everything custom
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 02:25 AM   #10
foxandfoe
Registered Member

a in stock form the 302 engine is whats called a free running engine. the valves wont
hit the piston unless you lose a spring or a keeper. the onley way they would hit is if you upgraded to a big cam or big valve heads.
and in a 302 the pump rod would most likely break way before the chain.
foxandfoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 11:21 AM   #11
byrnech
Registered Member

I feel your pain, the same exact thing just happened to me. Loud bang sound, no belt, broke the timing cover and I can see the sprocket on the crank that holds the timing chain, or used to hold the timing chain. I haven't taken the engine out yet to see exactly what it is nor do I care to. This is my excuse to build a decent motor. My car has about the same miles on it, only I have tore mine up for the last 6 years. Since the mishap I have bought AFR 185's, TFS-R intake, Crane ignition, and I am having a 331 built by FPS. I am happier now than I have ever been. Of course I have been without my baby for a month or so, and it is going to take 3 to 6 weeks to build the motor so I am hoping to have it done end of July mid August. But I guess what I am saying is this could be a blessing in disguise.
byrnech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 02:14 PM   #12
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Talking

All is not necessarly lost. Without knowing for certian you probably have bent a valve or two when the cam stopped moving when the timing chain broke. On almost any motor when a valve is fully open it will contact a piston if the cam is not moving and the piston is moving. With the factory forged pistons they should not get too damaged, and stock valves are pretty cheap.

Finding out why the chain broke may be more tricky, just broke?? Stuck valve, lifter or spun cam bearing? I would pull the heads and inspect the valves and pistons, check for bent pushrods or damaged rocker arms. Try to spin the cam and look for signs of trouble, if no problems seen, just replace the bent valves and new timing chain and front cover.

If the cam does not turn freely simply going to a new short or long block may be easier than fixing the problem since something is obstructing the cam and sending metal through the motor etc.

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. Silencer removed, K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch, FMS blue wires Energy Suspension end links
88 Notch 2.3L 5 speed Parts/beater car My two Notchbacks

74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 Finally fixed getting a 454 to put in garage
<A HREF="http://www.chevellepages.com/folingo" TARGET=_blank>www.chevellepages.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 04:27 PM   #13
Lexicon
Registered Member

Do you have a digital camera. Try to take a picture of it and send it to members that may offer some insight. This may not be possible, but at least send it to some members through email. Again a suggestion in the hopes that someone has seen your situation b4
Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 04:48 PM   #14
JANESLX50
Registered Member

Unhappy

Thanks everyone for all of your help. Ford hasn't broken it down yet, but we went to look at it again. The crank pulley(?) down at the bottom doesn't line up anymore with the other pulleys. In fact it looks like it moved forward about 2 inches and we can move it when we push on it just a little bit. My husband said that when it let go it was the most horrible sound - banging and clanging real fast then total silence. The mechanic there said that it just doesn't look good.
Believe me when I say that this has been the worst 24 hours I have had in many years. We needed to make a decision and it has not been an easy one. We sat down and did a "pros and cons" list for a rebuild/new motor. I mean we took everything into consideration - time, money, family situation, you name it. And it does sadden me to say that we will be selling the monster to some friends of ours who have the time, money, and know-how to bring it back to life. I know a lot of you will think we're crazy for selling, but we have really thought this thru. Other things were starting to act up with it recently - steering rack was starting to creak and groan, the clutch (even though not giving us probs yet) is still original-when will that let go. Our monster gave us 11 years of fun and excitement. I knew that one of these days it would eventually breathe its last. I just didn't want it to happen so soon. Hopefully the new owners will enjoy it also.
Again, thanks folks for your advice.
Old 06-27-2001, 09:16 PM   #15
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Janeslx, i was asking you a while back if you ever ran at our track here near s.a. a while back, luckily you didnt, i mean that would of probaly sprayed parts everywhere, my car is also 11 yrs old now im a bit weary on how i run, but this goes to show a motor can come apart no matter what rpm's your turning, im gonna post my dead clutch topic now, hope your friends build it back into a monster, cuz we know ther are some awesome mustang, or engine builders here in tx oh how many miles were on it? if you see this post again

------------------
90 lx coupe: 175k miles, steeda water pump pully, hurst shifter, Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil, ADS chip, aluminum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs.
Best time: 13.9116(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 98.17
Best 60': 1.9607

next mods: subframes, mac h-pipe
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 11:23 PM   #16
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

hmm, if the crank pulley came put a full 2 inches then i'd suspect either the harmonic balancer spun loose or the crankshaft could have broken, thats not a pretty site, i saw a 96TransAm at a dealership with the front 1/4 of the crankshaft on the bench along with 2 broken rods, the rest of the motor was still in the car with a hole the size of a basketball in the front, it was enough to make me never wanna buy something with an LT1 in it

------------------
88 Notch, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, 1.7RR's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air ,MSD coil, U/L control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best 1/4--&gt; 13.77@101.35
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 11:53 PM   #17
jerryIII

why give up so easily??? how much you spending on another car to replace the stang????

you could get that one back for around $1,500.00 and it'd probably last another 10 years.. and hell that's the price of a used piece of crap with one wheel in the grave....

shop around you'd be amazed at the low prices of parts....

but if it must be, sorry to hear about yer loss....

------------------
Black,84 GT,ground effects,shorty headers, 'open' dual exh.,302 HO(no pollution control crap),T5,89 ported heads,edelbrock Performer manifold, Edelbrock 2122 cam,600 Holley, high volume oil pump...

gears (4:10's) on their way!!!!
Old 06-29-2001, 11:17 AM   #18
nosfed
Registered Member

I don't mean to be a vulture, but how much did you plan on getting for the car? I would be interested in such a project. Let me know if things don't work out with the buyer.
nosfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 02:15 PM   #19
JANESLX50
Registered Member

I would like to thank each and every one of you kind folks who took an interest in the "Black Tuesday" meltdown. The Ford mechanic gave us the results - trashed engine. We had a very interested buyer who gave us more $$ than we expected. We had about 3 people fighting over it. But it went to a guy who really wants to bring it back to life and who has the time to do it.
Again, thanks for all of your help.
Old 06-29-2001, 06:54 PM   #20
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

did the mechanic tell you exactly what it was? i'd like to know who won the guessing contest , oh yah, sorry about your loss

------------------
88 Notch, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, 1.7RR's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air ,MSD coil, U/L control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best 1/4--&gt; 13.77@101.35
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote