MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-15-2001, 08:26 AM   #1
LOCASH
Registered Member

Post SHOULD I CHANGE GEARS MYSELF? (LONG)

O.K. I know this topic is on here once a week but this is different. I live in Italy right now and I am taking my car to a shop that does rally cars to swap gears. I am quite sure that the guy has never seen an 8.8 before so he will be doing it for the first time. I have a bit of experience as a parts hanger at a garage and I have done all of the mods so far myself. I have done alot of research and I have the Richmond Gear video. I could recite all of the steps from memory but I have never actually done it. I have a friend who has the $170 set up kit. Should I try it myself or take it to this shop?

------------------
86 GT T-tops, AOD, B&M shift kit and hammer shifter, ROH wheels, K&N, Timing,MAC headers, 2.5 off road H, 2.5 American Thunder, 87 spindles, rear disc,SS lines, BBK 1.5, poly bushings, Crutchfield front kick panel speakers.
"DRIVE LIKE YOU STOLE IT!"
LOCASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 10:39 AM   #2
John R. Mustang
Registered Member

If you follow the steps closely and just take your time you shouldn't run in to any problems. Also make sure you have the proper tools, depth gauge, dial indicator, etc. As long as you get the proper pinion depth and backlash, you can't go wrong.

Good luck.
John R. Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote