MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-25-2001, 03:45 PM   #1
shelby2
Registered Member

Post i want to know what you guys think before i buy a new computer

i am thinking about buying a new computer for my mustang. the computer is from an 89 and the problem i think it has is a bad memory. i cannot pull any trouble codes or anything from it. the car will still run and does decently, but it will not keep a constant idle. also, even with a custom chip i am getting less than 9 mpg, even with a longtube header mod in the chip. i am probably going to buy a new one anyway ($177.00) through my brothers work. just wanted to know what you guys think about this. thanks, shawn.

------------------
shawn hill
1967 ford mustang coupe, red w/white stripes, hood scoop, front and rear spoiler, sefi and c4, trickflow intake, 70mm mac tb/egr, billet fpr, 24# inj, c&l maf, heavy duty c4 w/transgo shiftkit, msd 6a box w/tfi blaster coil, flowtech longtubes w/turbo mufflers, t-rex inline pump, ported and polished E7TE heads w/1.94,1.60 valves, lunati 292 cam, harland sharp 1.6 rollers, conventional 8" with 2.79 gears (soon will be gone)
shelby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 12:13 AM   #2
Capri306

You should try running it without the custom chip first. I removed the Hypercrap from mine and found oodles of power! The mass air conversion helped out, too. Are you certain that the computer is getting constant battery power? This alone could be the problem of why it keeps searching for an idle and not kicking out any codes. On the other hand, if the chip is interfering with signals the computer is looking for and it receives the correct ones, it won't give codes, either. I'd try resetting the idle first, WITHOUT the chip, and see how far you get. Good luck.

p.s. If you still think it's the computer, try using one out of a friend's Mustang.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote